Skip to content

Fletching?

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: Fletching?

Postby Kirkll » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 pm

rwsbow wrote:From the compounds I've worked on, most of the paradox from a release is in the vertical plane, not horizontal plane as with fingers..very little if any horizontal flex when released straight ahead from the jaws of a release...if the arrow is set up pure centershot..

just my experiences, though...

here's a theory of mine i worked on years ago in order to gain better down range flight with ultra light arrows...serious down range flight too....80-100 yards and more...

With a center shot bow with a spring tension, or double prong rest, or drop away rest... there is no paradox at all because you are not bending the arrow around the riser... it just a matter of how much flex the arrow has at time of release according to the spine, type of wheel or cam, using a trigger style or rope release. typically due to the above center location of the string nock, there is slight downward pressure on the arrow with nock travel. this would sustain your flex running vertical on an under spined arrow....this usually manifests itself in the form of proposing in the early flight stage even with the string nock in the proper location.

the spine of the arrow being critical to good arrow flight during the evolution of center shot compound bows... went the other way completely. because the shaft didn't NEED to bend any more, it was commonly thought stiffer was better... i still have my old PSE with a 4" over draw that shoots 26" arrows by the way...this whole idea stiffer is better proved very true for average archers who shot short range and bows that were in the 240- 270 FPS speed arena... then the really light weight carbon shafts and IBO weights of 5 GPP came into play. with it the race for the 300 plus speed....well all this speed was cool as hell, but learning to balance and blue print your arrows to store as much energy as possible and still maintain good down range flight accuracy brought spine back into play again....balancing the FOC and tip weight to achieve just enough flex at the time of release, where it would snap back in the form of spring tension would make the difference in a 3" group or a 6" group at a 100 yards....that little bit of energy stored in the shaft itself made a bigger difference down range...... now you may say this is splitting hairs... but shooting a bow at that distance a hair is as big as a Douglas fir tree....

hope i didn't bore you guys to death here...i used to really be into that stuff....Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk