Skip to content

OK...any Predictions!!??

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

OK...any Predictions!!??

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 pm

I guess its the time of year or something, but I'm nearly consumed with thoughts of WTT 3... how fast will they be...how fast will mine go? Will Badger pull something crazy out of his hat?

I am going to send a very sound and stable full out lifetime hunting bow (no carbon at all...to be SURE of its longevity)... and one that is hotrodded...but not intended to blow up anytime soon!

I want my hunting bow driving 10 Gpp's with silencers and such at about 187.....

I want my hot rod at 196! Thats with a 10 strand string...if we throw string stips out... it could go faster!??

I think Ken just may do a 202...

Gino??? What could Gino build and send? Hmmmm..... we shall see.

The purdiest bow??? Oh man....this one could be fun...if you are in that one you better hope Mr. Stahl doesn't compete!! :D
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: OK...any Predictions!!??

Postby jwillis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:32 pm

This is not fair to say about another, but I'll predict that TJ's bow will go 167. :lol: Don't hit me TJ! Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:07 pm

heck jim, i think youre prolly gonna be right. :evil:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:28 pm

i'll probably send two risers and 2 sets of limbs for each.... a set of hunting recurve and hybrid limbs each and a set of hot rodded limbs for each. i think the hot rodded hybrid limbs will be plenty durable but the recurve will be taken to it's max. the hunting limbs will be "pretty" as will be both risers..... well, atleast they will be pretty to me.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 pm

I doubt it TJ...

Lookin forward to seeing your numbers Gino... I am going to try real hard to give you a run... and with that said, you probably just stepped up a whole nuther level! SO...I gotta get back to the shop! :D
Hornseeker

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 am

I predict my longbow will do 145. :lol: I don't know what to predict from the new, non-street legal ILF riser I'm planning on making for the event. ;)
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kirkll » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am

i'm with Gino.... i think TJ is sand bagging.. :shock:

my prediction is one out of 3 of my bows entered will blow up on the machine :roll: ..... can we bring extra limbs? :oops:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby badger5149 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

WOW! I haven't been following the threads lately and all kinds of cool threads going on. I think for myself I may just concentrate on a self bow and an english longbow this time and see if I can keep them over 180. Outside of just getting the tips scary thin I really can't think of anything new to try this time. I have had 3 or 4 backed bows in the past year hit slightly over 190 but they usually break or loose their edge once broke in a bit. I am really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with this time. It seems to me the basic formula for performance is maintaining high efficiency without giving up to much on stored energy. I think where the real science will come in is something that Ken has mentioned in the past and thats limb timming. Not reffering to how they are timed to one another but how they unfold. reducing the vibration or even almost elinationg it is the key to efficiency. Using shorter working areas in the limbs and moving the bend out closer to the tips helps with the efficiency but also limits the storage aspect. Some things I can;t really accomplish on wood bows because of the precision needed but could be done relatively easily on glass bows just through the use of tapers. The return stroke on a bow limb is radicaly differnent than the drawn stroke and the faster they are returning the more distorted they get. I was kind of thinking a long the lines of incorporating high speed photography into the process and using only progressively greater tapers as a test subject. say start at around .002 and progress all the way to .o12 in increments of .002. Use identical profiles and widths and then just monitor the visual aspects under high speed photos of the limbs. Compare that against energy storage and efficiency and see where the curve seemed to come around at it's best point. Then possibly use some lead tape on the tips just to see how much affect small amounts of mass actually added. Maybe even use the lead tape along different parts of the limb also. You guys have the bar up so high now it wont be childs play to raise it up higher. Looking forward to another great year. Steve
badger5149

Postby jwillis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Those are great ideas Steve. It would seem that the more rapid the thickness taper, the more predictable and less distorted the return stroke will be. It would also seem that a limb with a straight side profile, straight width taper, and straight thickness taper would come the closest to matching the drawn stroke and power stroke. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:53 pm

Steve said, "elinationg" ??? :mrgreen: I couldn't help it...that is quite the word!!

Good ideas Steve...we only need to find someone with high speed vid that we can get "on the cheap"....
Hornseeker

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk