Skip to content

My R&D build up for WTT3

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: My R&D build up for WTT3

Postby Kirkll » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 am

tjdeerslayer37 wrote:and a big fat 167'er for me. :roll: :evil:

FOFLMAO!!!!! You old sand bagger, you!..... I'm not buying it myself.... But if you insist on keeping this belief alive, i promise i wont chrono that bow your building for me TJ... :D :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:16 am

Im tellin ya guys I can't get squat outta my bows, unless my most recent change produces miracle results
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 am

uh huh... yeah... sure... you betchya..... ;)
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:08 pm

i ain't buying it either, TJ 8-) ..... but even still, i am guessing that "uncle kenro" will have ya fixed right up if ya know what i mean. ;)
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:00 pm

i think he'll get it to go pretty good with my new riser, but the way ive been building them they top out at 167 10 gpp, my last one was 159 at 10gpp with 10 strand ffplus string. not good :(

anyways, hows that bow shoot jim? ;)

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby jwillis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:13 pm

I can't really tell how well it shoots yet because I've only shot it so far with overspined arras that slap the riser. I got some "up to 40#-ers" this week but need to fletch them.

Looking at this photo, you said it could use just a bit thicker and longer power lam. Would it benefit from just a bit longer tip wedge, too? Same thickness, just an inch or so longer? The left vertical line is bow center and the right vertical line represents the arrow. Also, note that assymetrical lower riser ramp creates an optical illusion.

My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:21 pm

i dont think so, just the thicker power lam, you can see how the bow still tends to start bending by the handle and it needs to stay solid. somebody else might have an opinion on it though.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I really dont think anymore tip wedge would help you, but I dont think it would hurt much either... not a real definite answer!! I do like the idea of moving that bend out just a hair with more power wedge though!

I love that tiller board. I had one in Missoula, but left it with my buddy... I need to make another...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:21 pm

jim, i'm with TJ and E..... i think the tips look really good with just the slightest hint of reflex left in them..... but i bet a longer power lam will really help to push the working section a little further out..... but then it might also start working the tips harder and require a tip wedge :shock: . wouldn't it be great to have an endless supply of cash for materails to REALLY play with this stuff?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby jwillis » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I chrono-ed this second test bow today and it shot 177 average with fingers and 187 average with the release aid. (35#@28, 350 grain arrow, 12+2 in the loops D97 string with 6" center serving). :D So, now I guess it's time to build one to hit target weight, trap it really good, tweak the layup just a bit and hope for the best. This process is pretty fun and I'm trying to keep it systematic. Gains should come much harder now. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk