Skip to content

String Weight Question...and more...

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: String Weight Question...and more...

Postby Registered Lurker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:05 am

Kenro wrote:I just heard that same thing about smaller strings but have yet to see any abnormality in my arrow flight because of it. I wonder if it may have anything to do with spine of the arrows because the lighter smaller string as we all know will make a bow faster making the bow act as though it is actually a few # heavier. :? I dont know, its just my guess?

Yeah, I think that's got to be a big part of it. A stran of D-97 long enough to make a string on my 66" bow weighs just over 6 grs. so the difference in weight between a 6 strand and a 16 strand string would be 60 grs. [give or take].
Registered Lurker

Postby Kenro » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Yup, and 60 gr is a ton when we are comparing string weights and their affect on overall performance. I do alot of testing on anything I can and strings are a huge part of the bow performance equasion. So I tell guys all the time dont be so bent on where your bows performance numbers are without first putting some time into the strings.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby petew » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 pm

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if the string is diferent and the arrow flight is poor, then the old tuning is not right for this setup.
The bow needs to be tuned again.

Pete
Share your knowledge and Ideas
http://www.peteward.com
ImageSkype peteward.com
petew

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I look at these really thin strings like this. Sure the string isn't going to break but how much is it going to stretch and bounce through the shot? You'll pick up some speed but you're going to have to trust that string to stretch and return consistently along the length of the string every time the same. An exaggerated view is to imagine the string material as surgical tubing. 2 strands are going to be much weaker and stretch and return more through the shot where 12 strands are going to be much stiffer and stretch and return less. Let's say the sun comes out and warms up 20 degrees since you tuned it. Let's say you go out and hunt in winter conditions after tuning the bow at room temperature. Now you have a condition like a compound with the wheels out of time. You better have a damn consistent release and really good follow-through.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'll not waste my time with a 4 strand D97. You know, you pick up a little speed with proper tuning too. Ok, so not you take your tuned bow with a rubber chicken string and fire it through a shooting machine with a mechanical release. Is it still in tune? I don't know. Something worth thinking about.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 am

I am sure bowyers are going to be behind the thin string deal 100% :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:21 am

FD- i was wondering about that same thing (stretching) after reading that thread on tradgang last night.... it will be interesting to see some longterm results if a bunch of guys jump on it.

i think it was hank or somebody that pointed out a while back that most of the OLY guys/gals use a bunch of strands in their strings. i wonder what the bennefits are from a shooting standpoint.... i know that bob gordon has told me in the past that if he drops below 12strands of D97, goofy things start to happen..... i think it is safe to say that bob knows how and always makes sure his bows are ultra tuned...... not to mention that he is a hell of a shot consistently shooting in the high 270s low 280s on a normal day. if a guy like that says goofy things start happening and he doesn't use super thin strings, i have to imagine that there is more to it than just tuning. but i would still like to see some long term testing with this stuff.... i sure as heck wish somebody had access to some high speed video cameras so we could see what is going on....
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:15 am

Hank wrote:I am sure bowyers are going to be behind the thin string deal 100%

Not all of us :D To a point this is certainly true for the performance aspect but when it comes to a sacrafice of accuracy and or tuneability,?, Im absolutely going with the shootability first. I think there are (and Im guessing here) very few of us (me)who can actually shoot "that" good to be able to see a measureable amount of differences without first putting a sight on and evaluating the differences by shooting a score. In any gain there is usually a tradeoff and this issue might very well be one of them. My take on it is, till a few days ago I wouldnt have thought about an 8 or 10 strand string being counterproductive to accuracy since that is what Ive mainly been building for so long. 10strand mostly. I think with certain types of F/F material you will reach a point that extra strands are just catching a free ride. I just checked my hunting bow which is strung almost 100% of the time and it is EXACTLY where I braced it at the beginning of the season, (8strand ultra cam). So is this a question of string weight adding a certain amount of "forgiveness" or is it a tuning issue because of string stretch and throwing a bow out of "tune"??

Just for kicks Im going to build a 14 strander (as soon as I click the submit command) and see if i can pick up any noticable accuracy from it. If so I can guarantee it will be staying on the bow!!!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Registered Lurker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:23 am

Going thin for me will be going from 12 strands to 8 [for now]. Wish someone would come up with some real test results to prove [or not] the squirrely arrow theory. Maybe a shooting machine that would let you offset the release left or right to simulate a less than perfect release.
Registered Lurker

Postby cst » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:21 am

I think I heard RobK say he has some high speed video camera gear. Maybe LeeGee could check it out for us. You know, since he sits around all day reading archery magazines and taking naps and such. :o
cst

Postby Hank » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 am

Are you guys building endless strings tying off the tag ends to each other, or just let the loop serving hold it together?

I pad the loops and let the loop serving hold it together, but going thinnner, might be good to tie em off?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk