Skip to content

String Weight Question...and more...

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: String Weight Question...and more...

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 am

Kenro wrote:Oh yeah, wait till you see the monster chicken rottery thingy he has conjured up. pretty freeken cool!!!

Look at what I did last weekend. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4388

Yeah, we're going to eat well.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Registered Lurker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Pretty good thread going on at Tradgang right now about strings. O.L.'s 4 strand D-97...or something like that.
Registered Lurker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 pm

thanks, i'll go check it out...... i haven't been on that site in months!!!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:43 pm

thats a pretty cool thread and pretty compelling..... i might have to try a tiny string just for the heck of it..... especially if they are finding that it further reduces noise.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Registered Lurker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Just for grins, a few weeks ago, the I made an 8 strand, a 12 strand [what I normally use] and a 16 strand D-97 string for my Swan. The 8 strand is the quietest of the three. I think that will be my new normal. Have read that fewer strands can cause some squirrely arrow flight, but have not seen that in the few weeks I've been playing with it.
Registered Lurker

Postby Kenro » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:34 pm

I just heard that same thing about smaller strings but have yet to see any abnormality in my arrow flight because of it. I wonder if it may have anything to do with spine of the arrows because the lighter smaller string as we all know will make a bow faster making the bow act as though it is actually a few # heavier. :? I dont know, its just my guess?
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby rwsbow » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Before I slapped a 4 or 6 strand string on any of my bows, I'd need to ask a few questions..

This theory is based on flight bows..some of which were one a "one-shot" deal...if it blew, oh well, there were others made to take it's place on the next attempt.Can you say the same about your favorite bow?

Flight bow accuracy is not as critical as a hunting arrow or target arrow is required to be..I would wonder how critical the release would have to be to prevent undue string oscillations with such a tiny string..

Seems the double-serve would create more resistance being in the center of a light string than a string whose overall diameter was bigger..

It may be quieter...but is that because the limb materials are absorbing more of the tremendous shock and vibration that a larger string normally would absorb?..I would rather not replace a set of limbs!!

Interesting stuff, though...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:43 pm

I read on the Fita board not that long ago where the Fita boys tried the thin strings, retuned and shot at 70 meters... arrows all over. Put the thicker strings back on, retuned and the groups came right back in.

On the TG thread OL says that Rod J can out shoot 99% of the fita boys... he leaves out the fact that Dave Wallace has out scored Rod J in most of the major 3D tournaments since 2004 and Ricky Welch could beat Rod J on one of his bad days.... Wallace shoots a nice fat 16 strand B 50 string and Welch uses a 20 strand FF string. If Rod can out shoot 99% of the fita guys, then Wallace and Welch would win Gold and Silver in the Olympics :)

Speaking of thinner high performance strings... OL comes along, blows his hole ... oh wow, really cool. Ron LaClaire and Dan Quillian were promoting high performance thinner strings, before OL even built his first bow.

I shoot 8 strand 450+ strings, not really sure to go thicker, thinner, or stay where I am at.

Oh yeah... the guy that shot a 288 on a 300 round with a deep cored longbow and wood arrows in competition? 20 strand FF string.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:01 am

hank,
rod is a good dude.... he didn't ask to be brought into this. the guy is about as humble as they come as well as being a helpful as they come..... and when it comes down to it....... i bet he is a better shot than 99.9 % of the archery poplulation as a whole.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hank » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:17 am

Nothin against Rod, but when other guys have a consistantly better track record, maybe they should be given some credit?

What I found interesting on that thread was the lower breaking strength of the strands of the different string materials than what is listed by the manufacturers.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk