Skip to content

String Weight Question...and more...

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

String Weight Question...and more...

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm

In controlled testing, what are some numbers/comparisons you guys have got for different string weights? For example, if you put a 10 strand vs 14 strand? What are the physical weights of the strings and how much diff in arrow velocity?

If a string is made for a 66" bow and you twist the chit out of it to get it on a 64... how much heavier "may" that string be than one built right at 64 with minimal twist...?

Just curious...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: String Weight Question...and more...

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:45 pm

i have some numbers for you E but they are on my PC at home.... i'll dig them up when i get home from work.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Cool. I was shooting a relatively heavy string on a bow tonight and was just curious how it might correlate to a light 10 strand with no silencers like I ran in the event...
Hornseeker

Postby Kenro » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 pm

E,
well, as you know for fact when I went from 10 strands to 8 on my event bow it went from 199 to 202. but some of that has to be credited to the nock fit on the arrow also. as far as the documenting these changes I cant read or wright so I dont take any notes. :? I figure about 1- 2fps for every 10gr of string weight. Strings are a very importaint factor in performance when you're talking top of the scale.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Kenro wrote:E,
well, as you know for fact when I went from 10 strands to 8 on my event bow it went from 199 to 202. but some of that has to be credited to the nock fit on the arrow also. as far as the documenting these changes I cant read or wright so I dont take any notes. :? I figure about 1- 2fps for every 10gr of string weight. Strings are a very importaint factor in performance when you're talking top of the scale.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm

:? :lol: :o :shock: :D :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: 8-)

smiley contest!

I do remember that Ken...I've got to start weighing mine and keeping some records...I reed and right just fien...btu still dont keep no records.... :)
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:03 pm

i think i was on the horn with ken when he swapped strings or cleaned up the nock fit or something... i just remember him getting really excited. :D

Hornseeker wrote:I reed and right just fien...btu still dont keep no records.... :)

that was funny as heck and went right over my head at first...... i thought "man, E must be really tired."
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:18 pm

:D
I gotta go to bed...
Hornseeker

Postby Kirkll » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 am

Ok...so if we are talking 1-2 fps for every 10 gr of string, then i guess i better enter one of my shorties... those things were using 49" strings, and the second one shot 18i with a 14 strand B50 with fingers....Hmmmmm....that's 10 inches shorter than a 62" bow and still have the FF string to factor in, AND the shooting machine..... you guys might be in trouble here :o
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kirkll » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

ARROWS ????

Pete brought up something on TJ's Chrono post about arrow spine and erratic chrono readings.....this got me thinking here....if we have two bows...one is 50 pounds and the other is 60 if the spine of the arrow isn't maximized for each arrow, or simply put, the heavy arrow is under spined a bit and the lighter arrow a bit too stiff....we are looking at the lower spined arrow absorbing more energy in the flex of the shaft than the stiffer shaft. I've see serious debates with engineers about whether the lighter spined arrow shaft that flexes more, actually stores that energy in spring tension, or just bleeds off some of the power stroke.

the second thing i'd like to ask about would be fletching clearance.....if you go back and watch WTT II closely....some bows had a wider spread on the chrono readings. was this caused by different shelf cut outs getting better clearance than others? or possibly an arrow spine issue?

some bows shoot better with different degrees of cant at the time of release too. the design of the bow, location and shape of the shelf may be factors in not only clearance, but arrow nock location and string travel......how is the arrow nock location determined from one bow to the next for optimum performance without shooting the dad burn thing? for this reason alone i'm not all warm and fuzzy about fine tuning a bow, sending it in, and someone putting a new string on it right on the starting line.....

now all this may be splitting hairs to some....but if you split enough of them and stack en up on the scale.....Kinda makes you wonder what we can do to level the playing field here.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk