Skip to content

getting chrono consistancy

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

getting chrono consistancy

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 pm

i thought i had my chrono set up just right for a while there, but now it seems i cant get it to read consistantly at all. yesterday it shot all the way up to 190 from a bow i know goes 167. today, with my spot light set up on it, and the white top, i was trying a 6 strand 8125 string i just built and the stupid chrono read everywhere from 134-200 fps. i dont have any idea why its doing that? could it be a battery problem? ive only used the chrono maybe 1.5 hrs if that. i doubt its been that much.

yes i am shooting fingers, but i make sure my draw is the exact same everysingle time, and i try my best to have the best release.. but yesterday when it spiked at 190 i was using my fletchunter release and my makeshift shooting machine, and it was still all over the place.

this is how i have it set up,
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: getting chrono consistancy

Postby Kirkll » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey TJ... I really don't know a dad burn thing about how these things work, but lighting, and a good flat trajectory do make a difference. i've ran into several out there tthat are fickle as hell and needed to be re-set pretty regular...usually that requires a reboot, and your good to go....Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kenro » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:08 pm

TJ, I think you may want to call the guys at competition electronics and tell or show them what you got going on. My guess is that it is all lighting issues. (and that IS a total guess.) I would try to vary the height of your "cloud" and the amount of light. That spotlight may just be to bright. It took me a while to figure mine out before I had it reading real consistently also. As I said, make that call, the guy I talked to last year was very helpful and informative. :)
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:40 pm

TJ, before I had good lighting I would use a similar light... However, I would put the light about 2 feet ABOVE the chrono, not sure about the shining in from the side or UP at the paper??? Thats my guess though. And another thing..I have a feeling when you get it ironed out...that bow will be PLENTY faster than 168....
I have the same chrono and can get really nice consistent results...
E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:48 pm

its pointing up at the paper on top, ill try just hanging it above the chrono.

they didnt answer when i called today to see what i could do.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby petew » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 pm

Lighting and constant power supply are the most usual problems.
Also a poorly spined arrow will not pass thru straight and give funny readings.
You need a clean pass "over" the sensors to get an acurate reading. If the arrow is kicking the numbers will be all over the place . If you are passing off to the sides it also gives eratic readings.
Shoot for 4" above the sensors.
Hold a shaft in the chrono and see where your lights are casting the shadow . The shadow is where you get the reading from. You may need to move the lights and probably use a softer light. I use a 15 watt ,tube bulb lights from a picture frame directly over each of the difusers, and a plug in power source instead of a battery.

Pete
Share your knowledge and Ideas
http://www.peteward.com
ImageSkype peteward.com
petew

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Good stuff Pete! Thanks!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Kirkll » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:10 am

Sounds like Petes got the take on this....what about converting a battery operated Chrono over to a ac/dc converter? and what about the battery opperated ones Pete...are you saying you will get different readings as the battery gets low? or just eratic ones? i kind of like those battery powered models myself....
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby petew » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 pm

I took a 9V converter and wired it up to the battery terminals. It solved the stupid readings I would get with a low battery and the readings are always consistant now. Besides I don't have to type that I used a fresh battery anymore!! And I can forget the chrono left on and still use it the next day or week.

If needed I can still use a battery.

Pete
Share your knowledge and Ideas
http://www.peteward.com
ImageSkype peteward.com
petew

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 pm

a 9v converter? like just converting the wall power into 9v?

i tried the big spotlight bulb directly above the chrono, off to the side pointing down at the diffusers, and from the end and above shining at the difusers and still got crazy readings. i then put a 15 watt utility bulb in there and pointed it up at the white area and still all over the place. tonight my numbers were from 160-239. :shock: im for sure calling them tommorow after school to see whats up.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk