Skip to content

How about some bowyer invites?

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: How about some bowyer invites?

Postby Kirkll » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 pm

i'm not sure if i want to go loaning ny speed bow out for someone else to blow up... :o if she blows... i want the fun, or take the lump on my head myself :shock: ...as far as dry firing my bow just to see if it will hold up.....i meeeeeaaaaaannnnn Gino! Are you out of yer ever lovin' mind? i don't know a warranty out there that covers a dry fire...

maybe a better idea than inviting bowyers to send in their bows, let's invite the owners of different high end bows to send in their bows to compete in the hunting class....i'll bet we could get a much better cross section of what's out there this way without putting the bowyers on the spot, so to speak...

at least till they find out how the testing went.....maybe we should design a shooting mchine with fingers on it... :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Kirkll wrote:
at least till they find out how the testing went.....maybe we should design a shooting mchine with fingers on it... :shock: :shock: :shock:

i bet we could get mythbusters to build us one. :lol:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm

kirk- i wasn't the one that suggested a dry fire test....... steve (ibex) is the one that always pushes for that test.... its in the post before mine.

having said that, i am not worried about mine taking a dryfire or three.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Ibex » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Dryfire mine (just once). Everyone else does. That's why I don't build bows, but only send bows that I find hanging in trees. LOL
Ibex

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 pm

I've dry fired Steves...I've dry fired mine LOTS of times. I've never had one blow on a dry fire either... ONce I get a machine I'm going to try and lay waste to a new set of limbs I glued up.. but I think the riser will go before they do... we shall see... Ken knows all about my risers going! :0) I need an aluminum one!! Who can do that for me????

I understand fully where the bowyers are coming from...it would just be fun if they'd enter an experimental hot rod that had no influence on their lineup..

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Stemming off what has been said...I am thinking it would be fun to ask bowyers, maybe just guys we know or are interested in, to enter a "fun bow" into the event. This event is fun...no-ones feelings are supposed to get hurt...and no-ones businesses need to get hurt. For example, I'll use OL. He makes a very efficient and quick bow...I think his "own" production bow is a fair bit quicker than the A&H... but I bet if he took on the challenge, he could walk the talk with Ken no prob... the bow he'd enter wouldn't have to be attached to his company...just a fun bow for the event... a learning experience for everyone. Same goes for any bowyer... pick one out of a hat... it doesn't have to be about business...

With that said...if a bowyer doesn't want to enter a bow...SHOULD we use stock bows that we own like we did with the acs last year??

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Kenro » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Many good points and concerns brought up here in the last bunch of replys. (without going back to quote anyone)--

The hunting classes or regular classes or what ever we want to call them are for any "production" bows enterd. I dont even want to see a production bow enterd in the open class. That open class is for the builder himself to enter a bow he feels will compete. I really dont think its fair to have a bow you didnt build enterd in this class and then base their companys reputation on how it did against bows that were built for speed only. JMHO (sorry, didnt mean to offend anyone on this matter if I did. I just know how I would feel about it)

About the dry fire test; NOPE! not here, not by me, period! (sorry Steve ;) ) If anyone out there wants to have a contest for how many times you can do it and see who the last man standing is, By all means, get together and spoil yourselves silly!!!! :lol:Id love to witness this event for sure!!! :lol: Ive dry fired by accident two of my bows. one of them was last years event bow in the machine. (arrow fell off) and the other was one of my recurves in the machine also. and then my buddy accidentally dryfired that same recurve once too. Like Gino, I too have seen a bigger name production bow not withstand a dryfire. I dont think it means much other than its bad to do to a bow. I also think a recurve has a better chance of surviving one or three.

I really think all we can do here is invite these guys in and allow them the choice to participate if they wish. I sincerly welcome them all. I certainly dont want a reputation as a guy trying to head off any buisness for them or give them a bad rep they dont deserve.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Sorry Gino...must have read tht wrong....aw hell..everyone dry fires a bow now and then....but doing it on purpose is like using up one of your 9 lives....Why?
you do it 4 times and hand it to the next guy saying this thing is bullet proof.... murphy's law says it'll blow the tips right off the first time he does it...LOL!
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Ibex » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't blame anybody that doesn't feel right about dryfiring a bow on purpose. I just threw that out there. I do expect that we can all come up with a way to prove the dependabilty of the winning event bows just as well as we can prove how fast they will shoot in a machine?
Ibex

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:22 pm

kirk- i have done it on purpose numerous times.... they were prototype limbs that were never going anywhere but the shooting machine..... i am always curious about their durability. some survived, some didn't. i am quite certain that the bows that i build to hunt with would survive a few.

steve- i think that if guys shot those bows and maybe even hunted with them a season that it would show that they are worthy..... having said that, the ones that i will enter in the "hunters class" will very likely end up being the limbs and/or bows that i hunt with in the '09 season anyway. they will be hot, but not totally redlined like whatever i end up entering in the open class. by the time all is said and done, they will have thousands of arrows through them before they are retired with the critters they take. the ones i enter in the open class will probably come back to meet their fate on the shooting machine at 0gr/lb :P .

i think a durability test would be more relevant to the "hunter class"...... like you, i can be pretty hard on my bows during a hunting season :D
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk