Skip to content

Gonna have to step it up

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Gonna have to step it up

Postby Catamount » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:27 pm

There's a thread on the leathbrawl where JD Berry and friends are claiming his new carbon longbow is getting over 200fps with fingers and 10 gpp of arrow. Imagine what it will do out of the machine :D . I called BS, and invited them to send it in for the big event. I've shot 5-6 of his bows and there nice but just a basic d-shaped bow with more handshaock than my Hill bow. So maybe he has some new bow he's come up with that will blow away everything else.
Catamount

Re: Gonna have to step it up

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:13 pm

i saw that thread and your post mike. i have shot just about all the models that JD builds and has built (i live about 20 miles from him) because a longtime friend of mine loves his stuff..... i think it was the apollo (maybe another model, not sure) that i shot that i was fairly impressed with as far as performance and lack of handshock went but that was back in the day before many guys were really doing much with longbows or R/D bows. unless he has really changed his layups and design, i'd be impressed to see his carbon bows do 185 with fingers..... but who knows, i haven't seen what the bow looks like.

i haven't handled a berry in quite a while but i was always more impressed with his woodwork in the bows more than their performance. i haven't paid much attention to them in a long time, but back in the day, they had as much or more bling than just about anything out there..... he did (and i'm sure he probably still does) some pretty amazing work and his bows, ath the time, probably did more to influence me into wanting to build my own than any other builder out there........ i'd say that was atleast 15+ years ago.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Catamount » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:12 pm

I know the guy is a craftsman and I won't take that away from him. The pro shop owner is friends with him and he has several of his bows including the ones with arrows inlayed in the limbs.
Catamount

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:35 pm

I got a bow that's even faster than that! It's got wheels and weighs 5 pounds without bling. :lol:
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kenro » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:54 pm

:) Well??????? :? Ya never know I guess? Anythings possible. Im not going to pass any judgement on the guy because I havnt seen it or shot it. Up to him if he wants to send a bow, I'll gladly welcome JD the invite to WTT III. As far as Im concerned he doesnt have to prove anything to me though. If it is a 200Fps bow @ 10gpp I say good for him Im more than happy for him. If not , theres alot of guys out there gonna make him eat a bunch of crow.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:25 pm

oh i wasn't knock'n ya mike..... my first thoughts when i saw that thread was about the same as yours ;)

if they did get the 200fps they were saying, i am guessing that they did not weight the arrow, the bow, or maybe both. i guess they were saying it is a new form..... maybe they have been paying attention to this site and copied ken's bow ;) :D
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:41 am

Gino Bruno wrote:maybe they have been paying attention to this site and copied ken's bow

God, I hope not!!! He will probably be going out of buisness doing a bunch of warantee work in the next year!! :lol:

As I said, ya never know. we now know its possible to see 200 @ 10gpp, right G? ;) Id like to see it machine shot before I make any assumptions. a finger shot number just doesnt mean a whole lot to me from the standpoint of a "bows" performance level. I guess what I mean is I bet Badger could finger shoot the thing in the 220s with that pumped up flight release he has. when the "human" factor is involved take every word or number with a grain of salt. Not saying its not possible or believable just saying pride can affect fps.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:53 am

i'd have to agree with you on the finger shot thing, ken..... however, i really like seeing what they will do under real conditions and steve (ibex) turned me on to testing with fingers using a square backed broadhead that contacts the riser at 28" so that you can't overdraw. now i can't throw a "left jab" while shooting like steve can ( that is the way he described it to me a few years ago :D ) so it seems to give me pretty darn consistent numbers. the main factor i think would be people with clean releases vs. someone with a not so clean release.... i have seen as much as 5fps difference just between different guys..... but its always fun to see what your set up is doing or what it will be doing when shot at a critter :) .
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:18 am

Oh yeah absolutely, I do the same just for my own reference with a full blown hunting setup and finger shot. my numbers with even my fastest bows in these conditions are at best low 180s -high 170s. I cant even come close to what my machine will do with the same bow. I must just have that crappy of a release or something I figure. I was only making reference in my last post to what the bow will do by itself.
Kenro

Postby Catamount » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:20 am

Gino, I've never been able to get any of my 3 chronos (I'm an avid reloader) to work with a broadhead. They always give me a weird reading.
Catamount

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk