Skip to content

Results " Walk theTalk 08"

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: Results " Walk theTalk 08"

Postby Kenro » Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Steve,
If you like I will send you that other 198er for your flight shoot. You remember that 48# - 62" (my league/hunting bow) with the snakeskins on it. I can lighten the tips up and scafe off the botched up skinjob.I should be able to gain 1 or so by doing that.

The next event is gonna have some hype & buzz to it I would imagine :D I am already off in a total nuther direction as far as a form goes in search of a "little more." I do believe its out there, Just gotta find it.

Oh, and uuhh Steve? about the Reba and Pickler song? :? :? :? :? Gettin a little weirded out man!!! :shock:
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby jwillis » Tue May 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Steve, no reason to hide your head for any reason. I think that we are onto something and I plan to explore it myself. Let me know how it works out. I'm starting on a couple of experiments of my own right now. This WTT follow-up has been real breakthrough for me in understanding a few things and I hope that my next few bows will reveal that. It's like the light has come on, but I can't seem to work fast enough to test out the theories. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby badger5149 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:33 pm

I kind of wish I would have held up on my post till I verified it but I get so excited I just have to go with it! I was kind of half joking about that song but I have noticed that instead of tillering a bow out in 2 hours I might spend 3 days on it now because I know there is more possible if I really work it. I like this walk the talk thing better than flight shooting, Flight shooting is too dependent on the wind and arrows. here it is about bow tecnology which is really where my interest is. Is there anyway to hold two events a year instead of one? Steve
badger5149

Postby Kenro » Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Steve, Yup :D just c-mon back!! I have some new chit to show ya (about a bow) anyway
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby badger5149 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Well, I need to go into hiding for a few days, after breaking in the bow the weight dropped 5# and speed fell to a stil respectable 188. All wood bows are very fast when the wood is still in pristine condition. I held the bow to full draw for several seconds several times and it leveled out. . I think thats about the max I can get out of one once broke in. Steve
badger5149

Postby jwillis » Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

That's amazing Steve... nothing to complain about...lol. ;) Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Ibex » Wed May 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Don't let him kid you. It's a smoker.
Ibex

Postby Hornseeker » Fri May 30, 2008 10:52 am

Well...you guys are killing me and Gino... we are at our "busy" time of the year where we are probably thinking bows all day, but cant do much about it (and keep in good graces with our spouses/kids etc).... arrrrgh

Ken...that bow I sent you... do you have a feel for what it would go if the tips were nocked off and the overlay was paper thin and maybe the tips trapped a bit more??? I wonder if it would pick up 3 or 4 fps?? (for drag racing purposes mainly)...

Is there any lightening of the tips you can do to that 198er?? Trapping the last few inches? or is it maxed? Also... did you shoot it through the chrono at lots of different brace heights? What was the optimal brace height?

Badger... it is Soooooo humbling to hear/see your bows hit 188+....that is insane to me... whats THE fastest wood bow you've had a credible report of...was it yours?

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby badger5149 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Ernie, this bow here I can get back up into the 190's if I use a 6 strand string and a lower brace height, I raised the brace height to 6 1/2" when steve came by for a witnessed test, I get max speed at about 5' brace height. I also had a very tight nocking on the arrow to the string, this should get me anywhere from 2 pr 3 fps. Plus quite a bit I can remove from the tips. I think If I trick everything out I can still hit 195 with it. 192 wa my former fastest bow I have hit 190's before but they never hold that performance through break in and settle down to mid 180's usually. The bow I used at Kens was very well shot in. At the official test We had some tape on the string to make the arrow stay on and it was very tight, before the official test we had a proper fitting arrow and it was hitting 188. Steve
badger5149

Postby Kenro » Fri May 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Just so its known, That bow that Badger had at the event(the fastest of the four) did do 188 the friday before the contest. so he has done it before. I witnessed it but he put on some green electrical tape to tighten the nock on the string to avoid a potential dry fire. thats why it was a little slower on event day.

Ernie,
as for your bow??? I do have a probable scenario for a few more fps you could do with your current design but I wouldnt be able to speak of any longevity issues that go with it. May help,??,, may hurt??,,, I dont know. How much have you experimented with it?
As for your other question about mine????????tell ya what. I will chime back in later tonight.(possibly with another short video) of the affects of doing what you are asking about. Hows that? :D
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk