Skip to content

Results " Walk theTalk 08"

This forum is dedicated to exchanging information for the Walk the Talk event.

Re: Results " Walk theTalk 08"

Postby badger5149 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:32 pm

I don't think I will give up on wood bows for a while. I just came in from a particularly intense tillering session before I posted that last post. I really enjoy the wood because I can play with it more. Hard to describe but when you watch the chrono just creep up as you tweak the bow out it really gets your adrenalin going, especialy when you are on the verge of the bow exploding. Steve
badger5149

Postby jwillis » Tue May 27, 2008 8:05 am

Steve, that is really a sick obsession but I like it. :twisted: Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby badger5149 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 am

Jim, from what I have read based on engineering type studies around 200 fps is a perfect score for a long bow. Wood carries about 10% hysterisis so about 192 fps for wood. A recurve is slightly higher at about 208 but that would be very difficult to reach I think. I am really hoping one of our recurve builders sends in a 200 fps bow sometime in the near future, the race would be on again!! I have hit 192 but would really like to hit 195 with an all wood bow. Been working on one the last few days that has my hopes up. Steve
badger5149

Postby Hornseeker » Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 am

Steve,

If you have hit 192...that means there is more... how much more?? The PERFECT wood bow... the perfect piece of osage with the perfect piece of boo and the best glue joint ever and everything tillered just right.... Yep.... 200!! Go get it! (and send me all your failures!!! :0))
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Bill Grenoble » Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Hornseeker wrote:Steve,

If you have hit 192...that means there is more... how much more?? The PERFECT wood bow... the perfect piece of osage with the perfect piece of boo and the best glue joint ever and everything tillered just right.... Yep.... 200!! Go get it! (and send me all your failures!!! :0))

And I'll take one of Steve's failures too. They probably are about 2 fps under his goal. :mrgreen: Bill
Bill Grenoble

Postby jwillis » Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Steve, did you watch the video showing Ken's bow draw and shoot? It is very interesting and shows everything that we've been talking about since the shoot-off. I'll bet that you are right about 200 for a longbow. It just makes sense. There has to be a limit. Like Ernie said, maybe just the right specimen of low hysteresis wood?...lol. Looking at the video of the recurves tested, is there anything you noticed that will help them shoot faster? As I watched the recurves, the thought occured to me that working recurves may be potentially faster than statics because they may be able to have less mass. Although, every test that I have ever done shows that statics store more energy. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby badger5149 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Well, I might have hit a personnal best today. I had a feeling this bow would be pretty hot. I need to put it away for the next walk the talk and see if they get the same readings I got. 549 grain arrow 57# bow 198, this would put me at 195 with 10 grains. I have a feeling my scale or something is off though.
The one thing special I noticed about this bow was that I lost almost nothing 2# total from the stress of bending of the wood, bow lost no measurable reflex from it's glued up shape. I still need to get it verified. I will be happy if it checks out at a lowly 190 fps. Since Ken set that new record I feel like I have been rejuvenated from being ready to quit and finding a new hobby. Some of my best work has been since the event. Going to have Steve Quintin stop by and verify my weight, draw length etc and try it through two chronos. I probably should do this before I post but what the hell, thats what " walk the talk" is all about. I made some minor changes to the tiller on this bow in line with what Jim Willis had mentioned in another post. If it checks out I will share the changes. If it doesn't check out I will hide my head in shame for about 2 days then forget about it and go back to work! Steve
badger5149

Postby BLACK WOLF » Tue May 27, 2008 2:28 pm

If any of you guys ever decide to do some type of bow building clinic...let me know...because I would be GREATLY interested!!!! ;)

Ray ;)
BLACK WOLF

Postby Kenro » Tue May 27, 2008 5:38 pm

BIG Steve, Howud you like to seeeee that bow Im sending you in september go a little faster??????????????? :o
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby badger5149 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 pm

Ken, fast as you can make it the better! I wish there was someway to get it to 50# without short drawing it. But at the same time a 27" arrow will fly a tad better. You make me think of that Reba McCintire and Kelly Pickler song. " Because of You". I just modify the words a bit to fit my bowmaking! Seriously, I am so glad to find some guys you can talk performance with and not feel like you are using profanity.
badger5149

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Walk the Talk