Skip to content

Kids Longbow Build-Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Kids Longbow Build-Along

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey Bill, Gino too...what do you use to cut out sight windows with? If Bandsaw...what blade?

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Bill Howland » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 pm

You're welcome...I guess the best thing I can say is find what works for you, eah! :D

I cut all sight windows with my bandsaw and a dull blade.

Now lets get back to the build along of these neat looking Kids bows! Let's see some more pictures of your progress!
"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry." Wild Bill Hickok February, 1867
Bill Howland

Postby Bill Howland » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm

The exact band saw blade I use is from MSC Part# 56381411 Which is called a Diemaster2 (7'9-1/2X1/2X.025) 6/10V They're running right at $40 bucks a piece. That's why I say a dull one! :D
"Whenever you get into a row be sure and not shoot too quick. Take time. I've known many a feller slip up for shootin' in a hurry." Wild Bill Hickok February, 1867
Bill Howland

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:09 pm

Pretty good thread here. Soooo you just set the air pressure at your target weight? :? :lol:
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Yep, most people dont realize that. Lots of people think you have to use different thicknesses of glass, carbon and wood to get different weights, but you simply use 25 psi for a 25# bow, 50 psi for a 50# bow...etc.... :mrgreen:

Yeah, me too. Dull Bandsaw blade.. Actually, for these kids bows, as you'll soon see, I'll use a hack saw. it takes me about 2 minutes to get it cut out, then about 2 minutes to rasp is smooth...

Ernie

OK...back to the buildalong... I am on bow 6 today. its a cool one for my best buddies 5 year old... I'll switch to it for the ending pics...
Hornseeker

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:13 pm

what bill said on the sight window...... then i use my mill with a ball endmill to final cut the shelf and sight window as well as the sander. bill has a pretty slick set-up for his sight windows after they are rough cut...... he has a machine that we call "the three headed sister." it is a belt sanding machine that jim built from scratch that has three stations instead of two...... one is removable and he has a piece of angle iron that is bent slightly past 90 degrees....... it takes a bit of practice but it works really well...... the cool thing is, it radiuses the shelf and strike plate at the same time as well as sands it..... it is really slick but very very hands on..... like i said it takes some practice and took me a good # of risers to get the hang of it.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Hornseeker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Cool...Thanks.
Hornseeker

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 am

Here's another short installment... with the kids bows, speed is of the essence... they still come out nice, but I'll admit a flaw or two whereas it would give me an ulcer on one of my Hawks...

So, I glue a piece of phenol on the tip of the bow...sometimes I let them cure at room temp, others I put them under a light. With a take down, I'll unscrew one of my light bulbs and cure it in my oven at like 120 degrees....

Then... I file it. Takes about1 minute...

Then I flip it and get the belly side cleaned up...

This is what it looks like after I've filed 10 nocks with red phenol...

Then, I hit them on the Clayton with the pneumatic drum...final shaping...

After this, its about 1 minute with some 180 grit sandpaper to make them look nice... Voila...
Hornseeker

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:41 am

what do you use to glue your overlay on? ive heard of superglue, 2 ton, and ive used smooth on before.

looks good.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm

You know TJ...I have tried a bunch of things, but in the long run, if you want it done right, use Smooth On! Takes longer...but oh well...
Hornseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs