Skip to content

Recurve Build Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Recurve Build Along

Postby Apex Predator » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Great job with the build-a-long John! I'm enjoying it immensely!
Apex Predator

Postby Kenro » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:15 pm

HEY, welcome aboard John, :)
Good idea for Gino to move your build along here, as he said, more daily traffic. Always great to see more bowyers on board.

Lookin good so far. Cant wait to see what you come up with when shes all done.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Wow John! What a great idea using rope with an air hose instead of an upper form with all the bolts and such. :o :o

you are going to get more evenly applied pressure on that set up than i do on some of my forms i'm thinking.....Nicely done! :D :D

i'll be watching for the finished product. :D Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby OH Longbow » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Gino Bruno wrote:awesome!!!

john, i am moving this thread into the main section of the bowyers gallery so that all the guys can follow along. a lot of times, the build along section is just kind of an archive and doesn't get much daily traffic. this way, all of the guys that are in the main forum will get to see this and can follow along. once you are done with the build along, we'll move it back in here so that it doesn't get lost and all of us can reference it quickly.

Thanks Gino, I appreciate it.

Kirkll wrote:Wow John! What a great idea using rope with an air hose instead of an upper form with all the bolts and such. :o :o

you are going to get more evenly applied pressure on that set up than i do on some of my forms i'm thinking.....Nicely done! :D :D

i'll be watching for the finished product. :D Kirk

Kirkll, at first I didn't like the rope. If I remember correctly, my buddy told me they use a one piece form because they were having trouble getting the proper pressure on the laminations in the hooks of the limbs. That is one nice thing about using the rope. I started at the center of the riser with the tape and got it as tight at the binding tape would allow. Then, when I started lashing the hose down, I started at the valve end of the hose and worked toward the other end. Then, I worked my way back, criss-crossing the rope as I went. I then folded the extra lenght of hose over on itself and tied it down.

The only thing I think I would like to change is to get a larger diameter hose. This hose works great for the 1 1/2" longbows but, it doesn't cover the full width of the 2" recurves very well. You have to tie the hose down very tight because with the rope stretch, it wants to lift off the edges. This is where the pressure strip is worth its weight in gold. My improvised strip seems to have worked OK. I'll post some pictures late.

Apex Predator and Kenro, thanks for the nice comments. I hope I don't let you down. I spent a lot of time following some of the bow builders (including yourselves) on here and other boards that shall remain nameless. It's nice to see you're interested in this build.

John
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby Dan Bonner » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:32 pm

great post! I love the router use, really gets me thinking. cant wait to see the finished product!

Bonner
Dan Bonner

Postby Sulphur » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:56 am

great build!! i love watching buildalongs, seems someone is always coming up with something i never thought of.
Sulphur

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:07 am

Welcome aboard!! I love buildalongs. :D Bob
Bob

Postby Khaled » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks for sharing the build along thier isn't much of one pice recurves build along on this forum nice job.
I Don't like slow buld alongs :D of curse work.
OH Longbow wrote:This will be my fourth bow. I have built one in each of the previous three years. The first was a recurve. The next two were longbows.

can you show us som of them? thye must bee as good as this one.
are they for hunting or target shoting?
Khaled.
Khaled

Postby OH Longbow » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Khaled, sorry that this is going a little slow but, my real job keeps me from working on it everyday. I just thought I would start and post as I go. That way, I don't have all the picture posting at one time. I kinda' wished I had waited until I was finished building. At least then, you wouldn't know if I failed... :D .

Khaled, I have really built these for the fun of it. Until this year, I have always hunted with compound bows. This year, I think the Switchback is going to stay on the wall and I'm going to be hunting with my Longbow (Red Elm / Red Elm, with Shedua riser - 60 lbs @ 29" Although I might try the other one Bacote / Action Boo with Came Dymond Wood riser - 61 lbs @ 29"). I can't use my recurve because the handle cracked. I will try to post some pictures of my other bows. Although, I want to forewarn you that compared to other builders on this forum, they're nothing fancy...just basic "nuts and bolts" bows.

John
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby Sixby » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks John for doing this and Welcome to the board. Thanks to Gino for posting it here too. I am always interested to see how other folks do things. the rope is very interesting. I understand about having difficulty with the hose working properly in the deep hooks. Excellent Idea.
Sixby

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs