Skip to content

Recurve Build Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Recurve Build Along

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

exactly like BK said..... awesome first posts and welcome aboard!!!!!

i love the fact that you take time to make sure your machines are square before working with them...... we have another accuracy junky in the house! :D :P

really really nice work so far!!!! i can't wait to see the rest of it!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby kennym » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Excellent work bro!! Like the riser router jig! And how you roped the airhose!!
kennym

Postby OH Longbow » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

4nolz: Yeah, I agree about the blue painter's tape. I have used it on my two longbows and it worked great. I was out and had ordered the High temp masking tape on a previous bow, so I used it. I like the blue tape because it leaves little, if any, residue.

When using a template for your forms, do you use a half template and switch it from side to side or just use a full template and cut it in one pass? I'm kinda OCD on some things and worry about the sides matching.

Kenny: If you use the rope, make sure to do a dry fit first. It will tell you how tight you need the rope. Other things are make sure you center the hose on the bow as perfect as you can get it, and wrap it tight. Oh and use a good consistent pattern with the rope that gives as much coverage to the hose as possible. When inflated, it will find the weak points and balloon out a little. This causes the opposite side to lift from the pressure strip a little. BTW, I love your work. My next bow (62"-64" hybrid) will be ordered from you.

Thanks again guys.

John
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby 4nolz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 pm

I do it one-piece some of my risers are not equally deflexed.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Nice job, can't wait to see the rest!
MOUNTER

Postby OH Longbow » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Finally, I got a chance to upload some more pictures. Since I wasn't able to get any pictures of the bow in the form when I glued it up, here are some before I took it out. It shows how I used the rope to hold the hose. And before anyone says anything, Yes, those are wheelie bows on the wall...mine and my daughters. The change over is happening slowly but, trust me, it's happening.

I let most of the air out this way. Then, I take a valve core remover and let the rest out. While the valve core is out, I roll the hose and then reinstall the valve. This makes the hose lay nice and flat and is easier to store.

Here is a shot of my homemade pressure strip. So far, I have removed the rope and the hose. As you can see, I used plenty of tape. My wife and daughter were very helpful in helping me get it taped nice and tight.

Next, I cut all the tape. I then removed the tape and plastic.

Here she is in all her glory...boogers and all.

Tomorrow, I'm going to start cleaning the epoxy off it.
"The path of least resistance is what leads rivers and men to be crooked." - my father quoting an unknown source.
OH Longbow

Postby OH Longbow » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Here's my buddy starting to work on his. He is building the same bow but, wanted accent stripes in his riser.

After putting it together, we used two pipe clamps to hold it. The only problem was it wouldn't fit in the oven and lay flat. I used two clamp lights with 100W bulbs, surrounded by aluminum foil. I let it bake for about 6 hours before turning the lights off. The next morning, I took the clamps off. It looks like it turned out pretty nice. It still needs to be cleaned.

L8R,

John
OH Longbow

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:01 pm

That's a serious hook on that thing :shock:
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby OH Longbow » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:20 am

BK in Wisconsin wrote:That's a serious hook on that thing :shock:

Yeah, that's what I thought when I pulled my first one out of the form. The limbs will have 3"-4" cut from the ends. If you look at the picture of the form, right out of the oven, you can see several bows on the wall. There is a recurve on the bottom that was made in this form 3 years ago. As you can see, it's not all that bad.

One of the things that makes this look radical to me is I primarily shoot longbows and am not use to seeing limbs curved this much. I only made a recurve this time because my buddy wanted someting shorter. He is a hardcore compound shooter. He shot competively in the IBO and did very well. I talked him into making a lonbow with me last year and he fell in love with it. He has given up shooting compounds and wants to only shoot traditional. The problem is, he likes to hunt out of tree stands and he was looking for something a little shorter than his 68" longbow. He saw my recurve on the wall and said he thought that was the ticket he was looking for...we'll see. If he does traditional like he does compounds, he'll be making 4-5 per year :D

L8R,

John
OH Longbow

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 am

awesome!!!

john, i am moving this thread into the main section of the bowyers gallery so that all the guys can follow along. a lot of times, the build along section is just kind of an archive and doesn't get much daily traffic. this way, all of the guys that are in the main forum will get to see this and can follow along. once you are done with the build along, we'll move it back in here so that it doesn't get lost and all of us can reference it quickly.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs