Skip to content

2-PIECE CONVERSION

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

2-PIECE CONVERSION

Postby Bobmeister » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I have always wanted to try to build a 2 piece take down like a Widow or
Harrison, so I got a copy of the article in Primitive Archer and grabbed a 1-piece off the rack and went for it :lol: .
Now first off, I need to layout a line top and bottom of handle area to be hollowed out. Then cut on lines to 1/8" deep. Notice the depth gauge that is clamped on saw leaving 1/8" of blade exposed.

Now to hollow out 1/8 deep all around , I will start by setting the table saw to 1/8"- and do both sides. Then use files the rest of the way.
Ok, now you have seen my experiment on the 2x4 :roll:. So I guess I already have one under my belt. Time to cut in half.
I am going to overlay the diagonal cut ends with some phenolic pieces then file off the excess. Next is to join the halves temporarily back together, using a very very small drop of CA. glue on each end.
Wax bottom half of handle with 2 coats of paste wax. This will be a release agent. Then using fiberglass cloth and resin to mold handle. Cut cloth in 2" strips, dipping in mixed resin and start wrapping around until it is built back up to original height. What a mess :oops:
All done shaping
Moment of truth, will it come apart.
To wrap handle, cut leather piece a little big allowing for overlap. I wet the leather with hot water wrapped around handle and let dry. Then cut down back of handle, and left 1/4" big top and bottom.
Using contact cement turn top and bottom of wrap. Then poke lacing holes and cement leather to glass and lace.
Bobmeister

Re: 2-PIECE CONVERSION

Postby BK in TEXAS » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:09 am

I've heard of that method before, but never seen it done. Pretty cool.

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:44 am

Grat build-along, thanks !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby angelstaff » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 am

great, fabulous, every time I enter the forum is to learn new things, and this work seems perfect, congratulations
Angel
angelstaff

Postby 4nolz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:57 am

that is great! thanks for posting that!

I wonder if fiberglass "casting" tape (for casts on dogs and cats....) would work?

is it good enough to hold it and cut it with a bandsaw like that? I'd have trouble cutting a straight line or holding the riser at the desired angle I think...

what holds it all together-the string I guess?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby petew » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:55 pm

This is similar to the way Abe Penner at Cari-bow does his 2 piece . The 2 piece Wolverine I have from him is rock solid , and the joint is completely invisible. Great way to make a takedown.
Pete
Share your knowledge and Ideas
http://www.peteward.com
ImageSkype peteward.com
petew

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:57 pm

is this the first one you have done? the first one i ever did sure didn't turn out that nice.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Bob Barnes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Outstanding job! The bow looks great. Thanks for sharing the build a long.
Bob
Bob Barnes

Location: Saint Vincent, Arkansas...but our post office is 10 miles east of here at Solgohachia

Postby kennym » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Excellent job!!
kennym

Postby Khaled » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:17 pm

realy good and non expensive way for a TD thanks for sharing it .

Bobmeister wrote:I have always wanted to try to build a 2 piece take down like a Widow or
Harrison, so I got a copy of the article in Primitive Archer and grabbed a 1-piece off the rack and went for it :lol: .

can you show us a copy of the article?
Khaled

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs