Skip to content

Straight limbed glass longbow Build-Along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Straight limbed glass longbow Build-Along

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 pm

nah i dont care about being different either.

i shoot down the driveway into the garage lol.

guess i shoulda let you know that this is dad's christmas present . He's really gotten out of bow hunting lately and i wanna get him back into by making him a bow.

anyways, his draw is between 31-32" for a compound so 29-30"? I havent decided on the design yet so i dont have the form built. The tapers and such are part of where i need help, i dont know how thick of a stack i need and i dont know which individual pieces of wood i need (thicknesses of the tapers and paralells). or were you talking about the material? He decided on Cocobolo limbs and bamboo or actionboo cores. should i go with the natural boo? He wants it to be about 50#@28"

what about limb design/bend? do you have something i could get a good shape off? old drawings or anything?

Thanks.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:22 am

TJ, i'd do the binghams reflex/deflex for this one since it is going to be your dad's bow and you are wanting it to be very close in weight on the first try...... to be honest, i have never built a 66" hybrid...... the binghams design with their lam recomendations will get you within a few pounds on the first try..... on this one, i'd just use the actionboo or actionwood. either will be just fine.

after you do this one, you can modify things in the design to your liking........ that is where the fun begins :D from there, we'll play with tapers, materials and thicknesses as well as limb profiles.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:55 am

alright. thats fine by me. :D ill proly give em a call after school then.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:32 pm

sounds good bud! make sure you do another build along if you have the time........ that last one was a really fun read!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:18 pm

TJ, when I get better situated in the new house, I'm going to start making bows. Can I ask you questions about stuff when I get stumped?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 pm

haha FD sure. ask whatever you want. but theres a couple people with 20 years on me that you should ask. :D

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:08 pm

thought id bring this one back up to show you this

this is the first time she shot it a few weeks ago. she did reallyreally good for never shooting without sights before.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby LGraham » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey TJ, thanks for bringing this back up...I haven't seen it yet. You did a really good job on it and it looks like she actually goes and shoots it. It's awesome that you are driven to do things that produce results, unlike most young people these days. That's how i was and that's how i ended up being a cabinetmaker and business owner...hopefully bowyer to. Keep it up. Nice bow and i can't wait to see more from you. Thanks.......Lance
LGraham

Postby jwillis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 pm

I agree... TJ, it's good to see a young man who is passionate about doing something constructive. Very impressive. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby hera » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Well done TJ.

;)
hera

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs