Skip to content

Firefly build-along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Firefly build-along

Postby Cutty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:16 pm

Oh, the more I mess with the Firefly, the less I think you have to improve on...you NAILED this one in my book. It's fast becoming my favorite metal riser of all time.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Bill Grenoble » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:44 pm

Cutty wrote:Oh, the more I mess with the Firefly, the less I think you have to improve on...you NAILED this one in my book. It's fast becoming my favorite metal riser of all time.

Same here, mine shoots great with the new Samick LB limbs on it, right off the shelf. I can't think of a thing I would want changed at this time. Very good job FD. Bill G.

PS. Now I think I will sell my new Gamemaster II riser, with a set of bushings for ILF conversion.
Bill Grenoble

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:36 pm

I do need to make a new buy/sell/trade forum on this site. I have some stuff I want to get rid of too.

I'm working on a few changes on the design. It's all little bitty stuff but the chasis will stay the same as it is. I think I'll raise the shelf 1/16" and peak it out a little more. Other than that, not much else will change so far. I'll wait to hear what everyone says after you all run it for a while.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:16 am

I don't know if I'd raise the shelf any. It's nice and close to the hand where it belongs. If you are able to give it just a bit more of a peak it might be good. Of course I am having absolutely 0 issues getting good flight off the shelf as it is so maybe I'm just full of it.
I can't think of anything major I'd change. Perhaps a tiny bit more peak to the shelf, round off the corners of the limb pockets. I suppose you could eliminate a stress point by making the limb pockets an integral part of the riser but I'm sure that would require a major redesign and I don't really think it is necessary. Perhaps lengthen the limb pocket a little bit at the front where it meets the riser. Like a tongue. Then tuck that into a groove machined into the riser to lock the pocket in place in the unlikely event that all of the bolts should fail. Again, probably not necessary. Just thinking out loud.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:13 am

I thought about that too but the limb pocket is almost fully supported by the main riser body unless you really back out the limb bolts and have them teeter on the edge of the limb pocket. Even then there's not enough leveredge to up-root those 3 screws with 1/2" of thread bearing each and the5/16 limb bolt. look at how a lot of limb pockets are held on to compounds and compound risers are 6061 as far as I know.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:30 am

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, I was just thinking out loud. I can't imagine the pockets failing the way they are. That thing is nothing if not stout!
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 am

Here's what I'm considering for the changes if we go with 6061. Basicly it adds 1/8" per side to the area around the limb bolt. In 7075, I'm not at all concerned with what's there already and it'll probably be ok for 6061 as well. But I'm worried that with the softer material, the area around the limb bolt might flex and eventually egg-shape the hole and potentialy cause the limb bolt to fail. It's still held in by the ILF bushing so it won't smack a person if it does fail. I just like making stuff twice as beefy as necessary. I hope these pictures work.
Attachments
firefly 6061 1.jpg
firefly 6061 1.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:27 am

I'm probably going way overboard with this. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments
firefly 6061 2.jpg
firefly 6061 2.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:05 pm

This would make the main riser body 1.66 pounds. That's without fasteners and limb pockets.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 pm

I think if it significantly reduces your costs and is strong enough..... I would go for it.

I take it 6061 is easier to work with and risers made of that material could be produced a little faster?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs