Skip to content

Recurve build along (pg 1) FINISHED PICS PAGE 4

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Recurve build along FINISHED PICS PAGE 4

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:29 pm

i could have puked last night...... i was on the phone with one of my lead guys last night and was trying to get scott's bow packed for shipping at the same time..... i had just installed the limb savers and had reached over to pick up scott's riser so i could bubble wrap it..... old butter fingers almost lost it and i must have fumbled it 4-5 times in the air before i got a hold on it.......... but............ so did my wedding ring. my ring has really sharp edges on it and i have nearly de-gloved my finger on several occasions. anyway, it left a pretty good scratch in the finish on the outside section of the riser oposite the sight window...... so instead of it going to the post office today, i'll have to take the next few nights and get it sanded down and refinished :cry: ..... i guess it could have been worse..... i could have dropped it on the concrete floor of the shop.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm

aww man, sorry gino. and youre definetely right it couldve been worse, wayyyy worse.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Sixby » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:51 pm

o So sorry. I know just how you feel. I had just finished a gorgeous wood lam bow and dropped it like that and it split the shelf. I have the limbs in the doorway to the shop so I can look at it every day and remind myself to be extra careful LOL. Glad you didn't break that beautiful bow bro.
Sixby

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

thanks steve...... it was a close one, it probably looked like something out of a cartoon as i was fumbling trying to catch it. i have something similar in my shop to remind me to be careful (dropped riser). it is a door knob that will fall off the main man door. i had dropped a riser and dented it almost to the point where it couldn't be repaired..... i threw the closest thing to me (a hammer :shock: ) across the shop and it hit the door knob and busted it clean off (which made me even more mad LOL). i was able to get it somewhat fixed and decided to leave it so that i would remember to be careful, and at the same time, not lose my temper :twisted: ..... i guess i should have been looking at it before i picked up scott's riser LOL.... still, i am hoping i can have it in the mail by wednesday.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kirkll » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Nice save bro......what's a little finish eh?
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 am

sanded it out and put 4 more coats of gloss on. tomorrow i'll wet sand with 600gr and put the final 3 coats of satin on it.... it should go out to scott on wednesday..... i may give it until thursday just to make sure the finish is plenty hard before i box it up.... we'll see.
Gino Bruno

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:03 am

I know the feeling Gino. I was doing the fades on a one piec riser once and man it was really looking good feathered out nice and hold it up to the light and could see thru it. Man this is a nice piece of bacote. I layed it on the table something got my attention outside and I bumped it with my hand and it hit fade first on the concrete :evil: Junk! I have a thick rubber matt there now but have been lucky not to have tested it out yet.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kirkll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Oh Mike....that's sad..... i just did the same thing tonite and the only thing that saved me was the sawdust on the wood floor cushioned it some...that riser block went from 14" to 13 1/4" getting the edge back though...what the hell its an experimental bow proto type anyway...but that sure is a sinking feeling isn't it?

Good man Gino! get-er-done bro!
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 pm

got up early today and wet sanded the riser and headed to the shop (work). just finished spraying the 3rd coat of satin..... lets see if i can get it in the box this time without tearing it up lol.
Gino Bruno

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:56 pm

i was at our local bearing store today picking up some parts for some of our equipment when it dawned on me that i need to start looking into a bearing to make a guide bearing for the edge sander that we had discussed in this thread...... the store owner hooked me up with what i think will be the perfect size..... i'll post some pics of it when i get home. it will be a little while before i have time to machine all the parts but i may do a build along on that for all the guys that have the grizzly sander and want to do the same thing.
Gino Bruno

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs