Skip to content

light limbs..... maybe not!

Scores will be posted here on a weekly basis. The '09 league will be held for 5 weeks and the first set of scores are due on the 25th of January.

Forum rules
    This is a 20 yard 300 round using NFAA blue face targets.

light limbs..... maybe not!

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm

this morning i decided i'd throw on my hunting limbs and do some form work and a quick target shoot while also getting a little strengh training since i have been shooting the 42lb limbs non stop since friday......... i figured the clean form that i have been working on would transfer right over to the heavier limbs and my scores would be better with the heavy limbs than normal.........WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the 54lb limbs felt like they were 154lbs when at the bale!. i then went and grabbed a blue face target just to see what would happend with some 3 arrow groups....... just as depressing as the weight was....... an approximate average would have been in the lower 240s. :evil: :evil:

i am not giving up on the light limbs yet (because they are so fun to shoot) but i am a bowhunter first and foremost..... target archery does not interest me much and if my consistency starts going down with my hunting limbs instead of up like i had expected, the light limbs will be put away.

very frustrating!!!!! having said that, it has only been a week....... not hardly long enough for a good evaluation.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Re: light limbs..... maybe not!

Postby Yohon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Look at it this way...the light limbs are specific for the game you are playing right now....spots. When this little game is over you slap on the "heavy" limbs and I bet that in a week (I am stretching here) that you'll be right were you left off or better becasue of the discipline of shooting the spot target instills in your shot.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby cst » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 pm

240's? You suck. :twisted: Man, if I pick up my heaviest bow first on any given day, then I can shoot that all day long and alternate with a lighter bow. If I pick up one of my lighter bows I have a hell of a time for a few minutes with the heavier bows. Weird. I have made it a habit to pull and hold my Fly (shortest riser I own) with the heaviest limbs I own at least twenty times every day. I should do it in the morning, then when I get to the range I should be all pre programmed for the weight and wont have any problems. Right.
cst

Postby schmaus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 pm

You got the right idea Gino. A week is a thimble full of time. Remember its not necessarily score a guy is trying to develop, or at least me. All these shots now are really insurance that the one shot later works. Even if a bunch of 300 rounds only sharpen your concentration for that little nano second during the shot when it matters, they are worth it.

I've been doing this winter target deal for only a couple or three years now so I sure as hell don't know much about it but.... its funny the little things I notice new each winter. This year, I'm noticing tiny, tiny little things that tend to throw a shot right or left. Just an eansie (audit my spelling on that E) little more pressure here or there on the grip that means a 4 right or left. Just tiny little nuaunces. Things I didn't have the perception to feel much before. Things that would mean less than one rib difference on a deer, but none the less.

Another major thing. For the next month I am trying to really stay disciplined to the regmented 300 round. I am trying to shoot it on a full line of shooters (going to the compound league guys night), to best emulate real thing competition. Shot on a timer and the whole 9 yards. When I shoot rounds by myself on an open line or at home, I tend to kinda swing draw a little and come to my hold or maybe settle on the target is a better description out of that little swing. For some reason it brings me right on. However, when you step up to the line and theres folks tight on either side of you, you have to start off pretty much 90 deg. and draw pretty much straight back. Feels wierd establishing the same back tension, sight picture and everything else. More difficult for me too. Tend to get a little more body interference and some other minor stuff that I have to be watchful for. Plus the distraction level is very high. Higher than when even E and I are shooting together. Pressure is up considerably which sure contributes to that lower "in competition" score. Those set up differences are gonna have a pretty big effect on target shot vs. hunting shot no matter what.

My brother is one of the best proper cowboys I know. He can rope and doctor cattle in the hills as well as anybody I know. He can do it on a made horse or a common bronc and make it look easy. Then, he can jump in with the rodeo crowd and rope steers for money in an arena just as easy. They are two very different disciplines that have common threads. When I get to playing too many of those target vs. hunting thoughts in my head, I think of someone like that, that can do it all and it makes me kinda want to be like that. Its all riding your horse, throwing your rope and then handling the critter. You got different reasons and different results and different conditions, but they do shake hands with each other.
schmaus

Postby rwsbow » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Put it in your mind set like Leo pointed out...2 different games with one common denominator..shooting a bow..albeit different weights and for different purposes..targets versus game..mechanics are the same and perfecting that routine will only enhance the actual hunting routine...I don't think it will take much time for you to switch...( being I ain't as young as I once was... :cry: ...I keep my hunting and target bows closer to the same weight.. 40 target,46 lb. hunting)
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby 4nolz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I hear scuttlebutt that either you guys should form your own country and have an olympic team or maybe just maybe there is some fudging going on.Scuttlebutt I say-I dont even know what a 300 round is or how to score it.I think I got a 300 today though... :twisted: :twisted:
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby cst » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Schmaus, that was the single best post on why to shoot the game. I like shooting it, but I started out hoping to pick up on the nuances you mentioned. Plus, I wanted to be the guy that could do it all - well.
cst

Postby gitnbetr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am

4nolz,
I don't know you, but I can understand your post. I have seen so many posts on other sites about guys who shoot 2" groups consistently from 20, 30 and more yards that it sometimes just becomes a matter of ignoring it and hoping they enjoy living in a dream world. I only speak for myself when I say that I have worked my ass off to shoot what I shoot and am happy to back it up. Go to Texasfieldarchery.org and click results, go to 2007, Arlington, and look at Senior Male Trad under Mike Frizzell. Shot with a DAS, 62", 43# if I remember correctly. If I don't, it was an NX Xpert, 70", 41#. Obviously, I can't prove my practice scores, but what I posted here was in practice and I have shot it twice this year. Comparable to a 290 on a NFAA 300 face is the 270 FITA I shot twice at the UT Indoor last year. I shot in Male Master Recurve with my Barebow because I knew that there was no competition to be had in Barebow. Go to utrecsports.org, UT Longhorn Indoor 2008, Male Master Recurve, Mike Frizzell.
Thanks for the chance to add some bona fides to this league, and I hope you will take the tme to see what it takes to shoot good scores indoors. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike Frizzell
gitnbetr

Postby stiknstring » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am

I think its pretty obvious that I didnt fudge MY score :D

And now that Ernie has seen me shoot a half dozen arrows he can vouch for me lol.
stiknstring

Postby schmaus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 am

Git:
Nolz's just kiddin. Watching your progress up the scoring ladder, through the changes you've made to the way you shoot etc, over the past few years has been a serious inspiration for me. I hope I can follow in your trail.

Leo
schmaus

Next

Return to Board index

Return to ***Pirate Winter Shooting League***