Skip to content

Time to pick on the rookie

Scores will be posted here on a weekly basis. The '09 league will be held for 5 weeks and the first set of scores are due on the 25th of January.

Forum rules
    This is a 20 yard 300 round using NFAA blue face targets.

Time to pick on the rookie

Postby BMG » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:15 am

haven't shot my first round yet b/c 1) targets are in the mail 2) never shot a vegas round before :mrgreen:

before I step up to the 20 yard line I want to make sure I'm legit. How to score a 60 arrow 300 round, if my poor math skills are done properly it gets scored 5,4,3,2,1. the info I've found only says how to score a 30 arrow 300 round (10, 9, 8, 7, 6). record my X's if any.

barebow; does this mean my flipper rest and plunger cannot be used? I checked the NFAA website under barebow rules and its not exactly clear as to what is or is not allowed. I don't do well with lawyer written rules.
BMG

Re: Time to pick on the rookie

Postby cst » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:24 am

ok, you can use your cushion plunger and flipper for barebow no sights, no stab. In the 300 round you shoot 12 ends of 5 arrows. Scoring is 5,4,3,2,1 and record all x's. The best you can do in one end is 25 and 5. Shoot 6 ends and move your target up or down and shoot 6 more.
cst

Postby Keener » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Why do you move the target up or down?
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Postby cst » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:07 pm

It's a tournament thing specifically designed to mess with guys who use the Shamwow Aiming System. Some gappers will pick out an odd colored floor tile or spot on the carpet or wall or whatever to base their gap off of. For instance on the average sized deer target at twenty yards, my gap is at their feet. If I place the arrow (from my perspective) at a deer's feet I know that I should hit very close to 1/3 of the way up his chest. That usually gives me an eight for twenty yard deer. If you take that away by moving the target vertically half way through the tournament, the shooter is forced to refigure his point of aim. I don't know that that is in the rules, but they do it that way here in Md and I believe at the Nationals. I could of course be wrong about the Nationals as I have never been there. Everybody at my club including the guys with all the titles tell me that is the proper way to shoot a 300 round.
It does force you to really bear down on the second half though. After about three arrows shot at the same exact place, I get in a groove and kind of go on automatic. With my scores that is not necessarily a good thing. It also seems to mess up the rope and scope guys. I can't for the life of me figure why as they are shooting five spot.
cst

Postby Foamkiller » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Also there is a perceived disadvantage for shooting the top target. You have to hold your bow up higher to shoot the top so therefore you get more fatigued when you shoot top. Plus as CST has stated if you have your target in the same place for all 60 arrows you have the exact same hold and aim point for all.
Foamkiller

Postby Keener » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks.
I don't know much about this type of shooting/competition, but it is interesting to learn about.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Postby cst » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:19 pm

You know what is nuts? I shoot the top better. I usually start low too.
Hey Keener, just pretend it is a really tiny pig or something.
cst

Postby Foamkiller » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 pm

CST it doesn't matter much to me either top or bottom cuz no matter where I start after about 3 ends I am bored. Same shot time after time.......come on throw in a deer or bear once in awhile. :D I gap shoot and really thought about setting up a bow this year that was point on at 20. Kinda like the Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" just to see what kind of score I could shoot. I shot our state NFAA indoor last year and it was fun but not as fun as 3D. Since I can not shoot the state shoot this year because of a schedule conflict I am only shooting dots to get a little practice in while it is still miserable outside.
Foamkiller

Postby cst » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:36 am

I actually like it. It is a good way to meditate. Just get in the zone and stay there for a little while.
cst

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Keener, it might keep you from shooting through the post that holds up your target quite so fast :D
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Next

Return to Board index

Return to ***Pirate Winter Shooting League***