Skip to content

My challenge to you...

Scores will be posted here on a weekly basis. The '09 league will be held for 5 weeks and the first set of scores are due on the 25th of January.

Forum rules
    This is a 20 yard 300 round using NFAA blue face targets.

My challenge to you...

Postby Hornseeker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Well...I didn't get to the archery shop to shoot my round...which I really wish I had... but.. I got it done. And I would like to hear some of your times/scores.

I opened the garage door and shot from out side, 20 yards... 12 ends of 5... 60 arrows... hit a 234 8X ( I think 8...maybe 9..dont have it in front of me)...but the crazy thing... I did it in right around 13 minutes. Next time I have to do a fast one, I'm gonna time it and see what I get to a T... Reason I did it that fast.... it was 3 degrees.... :o Not cool....
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: My challenge to you...

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm

i hear ya, E...... it was in the teens here today and the cold snap is going to be here tomorrow and through the week. i could only muster up about 15 minutes of shooting and my groups were only so so because i was so dang cold..... i think i am going to have to shoot my next 300 from inside the house and put the target outside.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby cst » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Ernie, it takes me just under half an hour to shoot a 300. That is if I am taking my time. I shot in a tournament today (piss poor performance - see the thing about stage fright in the goals thread) and I usually had all five in the target just as the faster of the compound guys got their first arrows downrange. I was taking my time, too. Hell, I was getting coaching with some involved discussions from one of the members there. I am lucky enough to belong to a club with a whole bunch of state champions and a couple of national champions in various divisions. I had a compound fingers guy (12 state titles) coaching today and was shooting with a two time national champ. I keep hoping some of the mojo will bleed over. No joy yet.
cst

Postby Kirkll » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 pm

well i had the same thing going on today... snowed this am and pretty nasty the rest of the day...we aren't going to see the teens here but we'll see the 20's tonight....as far a shooting goes i did my round in about 15 minutes my self and i really don't wanna post my score.... it was ugly.... i got a 6X and hit those blue dots a few more times here and there..i only mised the whole target 3 times too? not bad out of 60 arrows. :lol: hows that guys?

i got an excuse though.....i cooked that purdy laminated riser too hot after using white glue to lay it up.... she let go on me before i even got the string on it... i was bummed....i thought i'd be able to pull off at 140 degrees ok, but it hit 150 or more even with a small fan going in the hot box....what a waste. :oops: ..i should have held off till my urac i85 got here, or used epoxy....you can cook the hell out of that urac and its fine....white glue has its limitations....oooops! :oops: :oops: stupid..stupid..stupid

ok.... now that i got my confesion out of the way.... i shot a roaring 189 6X.... talk about adding insult to injury. :shock: .. my arrows just don't match that bow well at all, besides being inconsistant as hell...
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby BullMtnArchery » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 am

Well it was a long week this last week. I was hoping to shoot my round Wednesday night but to much else going on. Shot hunter league thursday night. Spent Friday night and Saturday out of town for the Traditional Archers of Oregon annual Seminar/Banquet. That was great. Got a one on one lesson from Steve Alley on flint knappin, that was awesome. BTW Kirk, where were you???????
Anyway, after a short night of sleep and waking up to snow on the ground, (not comin in my part of the country) I got out mid morning and shot in the cold. Being cold I was in a hurry to get it done. I think I spent about 20 minutes shooting. Shot a 194 - 2X. About average for me this last year.... I really have had a hard time keeping my concentration shooting a round tartget, it goes away about 1/2 way in. I prefer to shoot at animal targets, 3D or plain ole stummpin.....
My goal for this is to improve each week and stay focused.... and have fun............
"Never mistake kindness for weakness"
"Character is the type of person you are when no one is around"
BullMtnArchery

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am

I think when I shot my round it was like 13, took me like 20 minutes.

Kirk, are you talking about the bow I made? :cry:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby stiknstring » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:25 am

Now I am ashamed that I let the weather get the best of me.....I will post the my score tonight after shooting and then try to get something set up so that i can shoot under whatever conditions I have to shoot in to get her done on time. You guys are really making me feel like I need to be more accountable.....a very real THANK YOU there. Maybe I should skip the archery shop tonight and shoot OUTSIDE in the cold as penance for my misdeeds....hmmmm. Thats not a bad idea really. In fact YEAH thats now my plan. I will think of it as simulating hunting conditions lol.
stiknstring

Postby Levyrat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Well I wish I had an excuse like extreme cold weather for my shooting like some of you guys, but its 60 degrees here. I have no excuse, thats the best of my abilities this week. Man, some of you guys are just smokin! I would love to be able to shoot next to you just to see what I could pick up.

But ... hey... at least harvest season is over and I can look forward to normal work weeks now. 194 2x with my brand new cheyenne 50# recurve my wife let me buy on a whim. I love that woman! She just hasn't been advised that now I need brand new arrows to match the bow.

BTW... I cheated a little. Didn't move the target half way through. I just read the post about it and will make sure to do that this next round.
Levyrat

Postby Catamount » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 am

It was a brisk 70 degrees in my heated shop :lol: . Not trying to rub it in but it is way to windy where I live to shoot outside anytime of year. I need to open my garage door and take a step outside to reach the full 20 yards but with the heater going it isn't too bad.
Catamount

Postby PAarcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 am

I have no excuses. I shoot on a nice, heated indoor range. I'm generally by myself at the hours when I can go. I just suck.
PAarcher

Return to Board index

Return to ***Pirate Winter Shooting League***