Skip to content

Jackson County, WV is a sanctuary county

This is a general discussion forum where you speak your mind.
If you want to go on a issue rant, save us the trouble and post it in the Dead Chicken. No religion.......no politics !

Jackson County, WV is a sanctuary county

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

FOR POACHERS

I know in this day and time many problems consume our society and some things may seem to be trivial by comparison. However as a landowner, longtime hunter, member of West Virginia Bowhunters Association, supporter of the Wounded Warrior Program and member of the National Wild Turkey Federation, a situation has come about that I feel has been absolutely dismissed without any meter of justice served to and for landowners and sportsman, nor has any regard been given to our natural wildlife resources. These are important issues to many of us.

Several weeks ago on a Sunday morning from an isolated area and prior to the opening of the deer firearms season, a fellow, we’ll call Poacher 1, accompanied by a guy we’ll call Poacher 2, crossed my family’s property without our permission with the intent of hunting illegally on our neighbors private ground which they also had no permission to be on.

They were caught in the act by our local DNR Law Enforcement officer and charged. They would later appear before Magistrate Jackie Casto in the Jackson County Courthouse.

Poacher 1 killed a TROPHY deer with a rifle out of season on property in Cottageville, WV. My understanding is that while the State of WV has a mandatory minimum fine of $1,000.00 for killing trophy deer out of season, Poacher 1 and Poacher 2 (who has previously been charged with poaching) were literally relieved of any responsibility for their actions and were allowed to retain their hunting license’s. It is my understanding that Poacher 1 was found guilty on the least possible charge and Poacher 2 had all charges dismissed against him. That’s right… no points off their license and no double fines for Poacher 2 as is mandated by current code.
Trespassing, hunting out of season, no written permission, poaching a trophy deer and allowed to maintain hunting license?

It is my understanding that these charges can be reinstated and appropriate reasonable penalties be accessed. I would implore the Prosecuting Attorney of Jackson County, Katie Franklin and Magistrate Jackie Casto to please review this situation and ask that, at least, some semblance of justice be served to the landowners and sportsmen of Jackson County. We have all been violated and there should be some consequences for it—don’t you think?

I would encourage those you who visit other forums and use Facebook to please copy and post the OP on as many forums as possible. The "word" needs to get out about this situation. Perhaps it will minimize the possibility of it happening in your back yard.

Perhaps a call or email to the magistrate and prosecuting attorney's offices would be helpful too.

Magistrate Jackie Casto: jackie.casto@courtswv.gov (304) 373-2313

Prosecuting Attorny Katie Frankilin: katie.franklin@jacksoncountywv .com (304) 373-2270
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Jackson County, WV is a sanctuary county

Postby Yohon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:10 pm

I HATE poachers...most gun hunters and all trespassers AND anyone that lets them maggots off the hook...... :evil:

I gotta ask tho......is the magistrate kin to you Jim?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:28 pm

No, not (closely) related. Poacher #1 is a Casto too. :lol: Not only is the magistrate a Casto, our prosecuting attorney's maiden name is Casto. You've got to understand that about 1/3 of this county's 30,000 people is either a Casto or related to a Casto. :)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Sorry to hear this,,,,,,,,just when I was frustrated with all the "POSTED" signs,,,,,,,now I see why,,,yup ,,,,what is this world comming to? ,,,sorry. Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I hate Poachers/trespassers... had a couple run in with them this season myself.

I have exclusive hunting rights to a very nice farm, solely because they used to be over run with trespassers and I was given permission to basically patrol the place. By friends, sons, Lostaro and Yohon have all enjoyed hunts there. I was bowhunting opening day of gun season two weeks ago when I happened across a trespasser, and within short order was confronted with a total of three of them. When I informed them that they were trespassing on land they didn't have permission to be on the biggest and loudest asked me "Who the F*** I thought I was" and explained to me that I didn't own that whole mountain.... Our interaction deteriated rapidly from that point.

I had to chuckle this past Saturday when my youngest son, the former Marine with three tours under his belt, discovered a trespasser on his land. This miscreant removed their blaze orange covering and decided to try and out run Jake on foot across the mountains. I don't know if Jake tried to catch him, or just jogged beside him until he gave in and collapsed. Listening to the after action report, I am sure that the trespasser was more than happy when the Game Warden finally showed up in response to Jake's phone call.

It amazes me that otherwise relatively decent folks can totally loose their minds when it comes to killing a deer.

So it seems a Casto was caught trespassing on a Casto's land and taken before a Casto in the magistrates office... Dang Jim, sounds like that area is about over run with Castos. You might wanna think about changing your name to something with a little less notoriety... like Trump or something. :D
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:11 am

...So it seems a Casto was caught trespassing on a Casto's land and taken before a Casto in the magistrates office...

Yeah, and if the charges are re-filed it'll have to be authorized by the prosecuting attorney, whose maiden name is Casto.

Crazy.... ain't it? :lol:

Almost like Lancaster, PA or Holmes county, OH... everyone is either a Yoder or Miller. :lol:

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby 4nolz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

Stykshooter we need details of your encounter after it deteriorated!
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am

Another thought.

I went to the courthouse for early voting prior to our last election. Clerk asked, "What's your name?" I said, "James Casto." She said, "I've got 35 James Casto's." I said, "James W. Casto." She said, "Well... that narrows it down, I've only got seven James W. Casto's." I said, James William Casto, Jr.". She says, "I've only got two of those. Where do you live?" I told and she replies, "HALLELUJAH!"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Mann » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm

:D
You might wanna think about changing your name to something with a little less notoriety... like Trump or something. :D

Or do like everyone else and just add an R........ Sorry just couldn't resist.

We don't have anything like a magistrate here, is that like a justice of the peace?
I would have thought that a case like this would have been a slam dunk slam the door affair. :?

OK, I googled magistrate. Would have thought that serious game violations would have went before a judge.
Mann

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Pancaked Roadkilled Possum