Skip to content

A pretty good read

This is a general discussion forum where you speak your mind.
If you want to go on a issue rant, save us the trouble and post it in the Dead Chicken. No religion.......no politics !

A pretty good read

Postby Stykshooter » Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 pm

I haven't finished reading it yet but so far, this is a pretty dang good book...

seal book.JPG
seal book.JPG (100.46 KiB) Viewed 836 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: A pretty good read

Postby Yohon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 am

How cool is that.....my mom got me a copy for my birthday last week and I've been sick all weekend, just finished it up PDQ and it was outstanding!!!!!

Thought of you and Jac at one point. In his many accomplishments he becomes a seal sniper but ends up working with some Marine snipers and basically says....Seal snipers are good but no one is as good as the Marine snipers 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Recommend it for sure and Im sure I'll read it again when Im in full function of all my senses :(
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby lostaro » Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Saw an interview with that guy, seemed rather humble about all he and his crew did. Amazing those guys are ready and willing to trade their lives to have a chance to fight the evil that hunts us.

As to who has the best snipers??? I only know one Marine sniper personally....ya don't want him shootin' at ya trust me ;)

Gotta read that book for sure...

All those guys are just built different than the rest of us. Can't thank them enough.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby rallison » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:46 pm

My wife's cousin was medically retired about a year ago following his 3rd Purple Heart...gunshot wound that shattered his right hip, femur, and 90% severed his sciatic nerve. Leaving his right leg dead from the knee down. He was Air Force Combat Controller working with seals...12 years and countless deployments.

Uncle fitted him with a "boot" which sends electrical impulses in an attempt to regenerate nerve activity, but it's not really working. Hasn't stopped him...he went pheasant hunting in S. Dakota, and on the morning of his retirement ceremony he went for one last HALO jump...landing in water.

He was awarded the Air Force Cross after his 1st combat mission, on his 1st deployment, along with his 1st Purple Heart. A book was written about that mission, the battle of Shok Valley, "No Way Out, A story Of Valor In The Mountains Of Afghanistan". That mission he was attached with a Green Beret team along with Afghan commandos who were woefully unprepared...it's a small miracle any of them got out.

He's now married with two young sons and studying to become a nurse or physical therapist hoping to work with other wounded warriors...an amazing young man, as are all those guys. He's still REAL tight with the brothers he served with.
rallison

Postby lostaro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Read another book, "Fearless" the story of Adam Brown.

This guy overcame drug addiction and made it all the way to SEAL team 6....had multiple injuries during his training/testing...including taking a simunition round to his dominant eye...after trying to save his eye they finally removed it. He then taught himself to shoot left handed just a few weeks before his CQB tests for Team 6. He is the only SEAL to pass Team 6 qualifications without full use of both eyes....amazing. :shock:

Also had 3 fingers crushed off in a HUMVEE roll over...wrapped the mush of bones and flesh up and went back to work, providing first aid to his teammates also injured in the crash, then holding perimeter cover for his OWN medivac! As I said, those guys are just built different. ;)

Unfortunately he paid everything fighting terrorists in Afghanistan...like far too many of his brothers/sisters.

P.S. rallison....please thank your family member for all they've done. I know I'm just an anonymous guy out there but a lot of us do get it.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby lostaro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Interesting in O'Neill's book he wrote that he chose to be an entry guy whenever possible even though his "specialty" was being a sniper.

He said snipers shoot a lot of people....but entry guys get to shoot "important" people.

Guess he called that one....
lostaro

Postby Yohon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for posting Rallison....agree 100% with what lostaro said....."thanks for your service" is really meant but hardly seems enough for what they all do!

Looks like a few more books will be on the way!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby rallison » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks for the sincere appreciation for my wife's cousin's service. He's a remarkable young man, and I have the utmost respect for him and all those at the tip of the spear.

If interested, Google "The battle of Shok Valley" and "Bandage 33". Those are the reports on his first action...which is pretty remarkable, and his medivac after his last...also quite a story. His mom let us know about the latter...she had trouble getting through it, was always scared to death during his service, and is rightfully proud as hell.

God speed all who serve.
rallison

Postby Lee Vivian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks, Randy. Have to pick up that book. I just finished Jimmy Blackmon's book, so if anyone wants to read it and maybe pass it around, PM me and I'll send it.

Just started a book called "Damn Few, Making the Modern Seal Warrior " by Rorke Denver , he trained SEALS in Basic and Advanced Training. Kind of a behind the scenes look.
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby lostaro » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Might as well keep this going.....

Finished another good one...."The Only Thing Worth Dying For"

Story of the Green Berets who took Hamid Karzai into S. Afghanistan w/ a rag tag bunch of Afghan freedom fighters and took out the Taliban and set Karzai up to be the first leader of a free Afghanistan

There were only 11 guys on the team and they had no plan and very little knowledge of what was going on there.

Really gives you a good understanding of what we were/are up against there......and why it will never be a safe place to vacation.

Won't give away the "surprise" ending to their story, other than to say what we already know, war sucks......even when your winning...
lostaro

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Pancaked Roadkilled Possum