Skip to content

Pale Horse

This is a general discussion forum where you speak your mind.
If you want to go on a issue rant, save us the trouble and post it in the Dead Chicken. No religion.......no politics !

Pale Horse

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Jimmy Blackmon's book Pale Horse. It's a well written war story - basically the story of Task Force Pale Horse in Afghanistan during 2009. Not surprisingly, Blackmon both tells a good story, humanizing the part of the war fought under his command, and in the process gives credit to the people who served in his command and some of the commands they supported from the air. He takes little, if any, credit for himself. If he claims credit for anything it's picking good people and then giving them the support they need to do their jobs.

In other words, I highly recommend it.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Re: Pale Horse

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks for the review. It is one I have on my reading list. Jimmy is a great story teller.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:54 am

Thanks Paul,
i ordered it a while ago on the Amazons/Ebays or similar - can't remember which one .
Look forward to it .
BEN MAHER

Postby Lee Vivian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:34 am

I'm about a third of the way through it and enjoying it as well.......
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby rallison » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:25 am

Not tryin' ti hijack the thread, but another good read is, "No Way Out"...the story of the ill-fated battle of Shok valley in 2008, whereby a Green Beret team partnered with Afghanie commandos and an Air Force combat controller.

The afghans were in no way ready for this type of action, their special forces trainers argued against it, but it was a go anyway primarily for a PR coup.

My wife's cousin was the combat controller on his first mission of his first tour.

In a 6-1/2 hour fight he went from "airman" to sergent and was awarded the Purple Heart (his 1st of 3) and the Air Force Cross. There were also 10 Silver Stars awarded to members of the Green Berets.

It's a miracle any of them got out...a true testament to the dedication and levels of training of these incredible warriors.

My wife's cousin was medically retired last year due to permanent injuries incurred on that 3rd Purple Heart, after 12 years of service and numerous combat deployments...an incredible young man...strong of body, mind, and spirit.

A damn good read.
rallison

Postby 4nolz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:55 am

A childhood buddy of mine who is now a 3 star General wrote a book called "A War on 2 fronts" about the initial taking of Fallugea(not spelled right)).He was a Colonel at the time his name is Chris Hughes.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Return to Board index

Return to Pancaked Roadkilled Possum