Skip to content

Bored and playing with an axe.

This is a general discussion forum where you speak your mind.
If you want to go on a issue rant, save us the trouble and post it in the Dead Chicken. No religion.......no politics !

Bored and playing with an axe.

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 pm

We are on our third day of pouring down rain and I am stuck inside. A little bored so decided to work on a project that I have been thinking about for awhile.

This Trail Boss has been a constant companion in my truck for ten years now. Not the best axe in the world but has definitely extracted me from several situations over the years. I like it and it will do until I justify the expense of my Gransfor Bruk small forest axe.

I got tired of the inner tube, rubber band edge protector that is had been riding around in so I whipped up something a little more classy. Made this out of 13 ounce heavy saddle skirting and I put a welt in it like a knife sheath. I try to keep this one shaving sharp and that heavy leather and welt should keep it from chewing its way out of its muzzle.

axe.png
axe.png (594.93 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

I have seen a guy shave with an axe in a movie once, but discounted it as just movie lore. An Axe is made of different steels and goes through a different tempering process than a knife. Made for chopping, not cutting.

Well, it being a rainy, nasty day today I decided to conduct a little experiment. My own little version of Mythbusters. My Cold Steel Trail Boss has been used a lot over the years. I try and take care of it but it still gets the occasional nick or chip in the blade. I set down with a file today and spent some time taking out every little nick and putting on a consistent 25 degree bevel on the edge. Then I used a hard Arkansas stone on it. I wish I had taken before photos. Although it was sharp and would chop well, the edge was kind of a mess.

axe 3.png
axe 3.png (570.93 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

Took me about 50 minutes total to get it where it would easily slice through paper. I put it on a leather strop for a few minutes and it will definitely shave hair on your arm now.

axe 2.png
axe 2.png (526.93 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Bored and playing with an axe.

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Great title for a thread ...
Sounded like a Hybrid Chainsaw massacre and Lord of the Rings movie night ... :lol:

I have a bit of a thing for anything sharp , and a Grunsfors lives in my Car in my kit ... I find sharpening a tedious job at best and could never sharpen my axe properly and always get someone to do it for me . Wood chopping as a sport has a bit of heritage around here and people scoff at my inability to get the things sharp ... Then watched ny neighbour do his with a file , smaller files, 10 minutes on the stone .... Then stropped it. This all took maybe 20 minutes.
He then watched while I did mine . Maybe because I wasn't checking the edge every 7 seconds ... Dunno ... But faaarrrkk it was sharp afterwards. I mean scary sharp.

Of course, haven't had to use it since :(

This old fella was competitive for many years in wood chopping and for him to get his axes competitive sharp would take him weeks per axe ........
BEN MAHER

Re: Bored and playing with an axe.

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:30 pm

That's cool.
Any of you guys use the Marble's Safety Axe?
If had one laying around for a long time and have often considered throwing it in the truck, but I always thought it looked delicate and kind of like a gimmick. Now you got me wondering if it might be any good.
Thanks,
--Tom
bearauto11

Return to Board index

Return to Pancaked Roadkilled Possum