Skip to content

Smoking Chicken, Pork, Beef (pic heavy)

Share your favorite recipes with your fellow sportsmen and sportswomen.

Smoking Chicken, Pork, Beef (pic heavy)

Postby DIY_guy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 am

Picked up 35 pounds of meat at Sam's club for a smoke-a-palooza. Time to fire up the homemade smoker.

A 12 pound beef brisket

12 pounds of pork Boston Butt

And 11 pounds of fresh chicken.

I will smoke this mess of grub with a mixture of Hickory and apple wood from the trees in the back yard.

The chicken will be finished first, then the pork and then brisket. The brisket will spend up to 12 hours in the smoker.

I love smoking days.

The Brisket rub is made and rubbed on the meat 12 hours prior to smoking.

½ cup paprika

½ cup brown sugar

3 tblsp chili powder

3 tblsp onion powder

3 tblsp garlic powder

3 tblsp seasoned salt

1 tblsp cayenne pepper powder

3 tblsp black pepper

2 tblsp oregano

Use rubber gloves and rub the spices into the meat and let it sit in the fridge over night.

I got the fire lit in the smoker at 6:30 am. Then it was time to rub mustard on my Butt (s) and a secret blend of herbs and spices.

Then I split the chickens and gave them a rub down of not so secret spices.

Then it was into the preheated smoker with the lot of it. The two pans in the bottom are filled with water and beer.

I’ll use hickory chunks to start out with and switch to apple later in the day.

The smoke is great smelling in the morning. Thats my homemade summer home in the background.

Now its time to wait. Occasionally spraying the pork and beef with the mop sauce. I have a temp probe in the thickest part of the brisket and another probe checking internal air temps in the smoker.

The chickens are the first ones done. They look nicely smoked. Time to prepare the rest of the supper menu.

The pork is next to finish. The combination of the smoke, and the mop sauce on the spice rub gives a dark look. Beneath that bark is juicy smoked pork goodness.

The pork is pulled using my homemade pork puller.

While waiting on the brisket, its time to fill the tank.

12 hours later the brisket has reached 188 degrees F. This was a really thick and fatty brisket (all the better) and the amount of juice it let loose when I cut into it was amazing. The groove around the cutting board didn’t hold it all. We captured this flavor in a quart jar to be used when the meat is reheated.

I cut it into meal sized chunks that (once cooled) can be vacuum sealed and frozen. The brisket can be reheated right in the sealer bags and sliced once warmed. I will divide the juice and freeze it as well to serve with the meat. Its been a long day and I smell like a piece of smoked meat. I need a shower.

The pork puller I mentioned earlier is made from a stainless bolt as the main shaft and then shorter stainless bolts and nuts attached to a metal plate and then mounted in my drill.

After 8 hours in the smoker, the pork butts were ready for pulling.

Pulling pork is a perpetual pain in the posterior and something I wanted to speed up so I went to Ace hardware and bought a cast iron floor drain (like you probably have in your basement floor) a few 3/8 bolts and nuts and a 12 inch long bolt to make the perfect pork puller.

I invited the folks from Youtube over to have some pork and to video the perfect pork puller in action. The pork is only minutes out of the smoker and very hot. You will notice the steam. The Youtube folks were nice and all but they sure can eat. Click below to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHytg7Rk2U

I only pulled two of the butts, the other 3 will be vacuum sealed and frozen for another day. Then I added just a splash of BBQ sauce to the two I pulled and mixed it tp.

The joy is in the planing and doing.
DIY_guy

Re: Smoking Chicken, Pork, Beef (pic heavy)

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 am

That looks great dude!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Smoking Chicken, Pork, Beef (pic heavy)

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:48 pm

DAYUUUUUM I'm hungry..... 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Return to Board index

Return to Cooking Wild Game