Skip to content

9 point down... Part II

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

9 point down... Part II

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:29 am

Hard to hang with Lostaro and Yohon and their buck killin', but I'm doing my best to keep up ;)

Went out yesterday morning, day before our gun season opens. Climbed up the same tree that I shot two does out of when Yohon was down. A little after daylight I heard antlers cracking together a couple hundred yards away in a deep hollow. This kind put me on alert to be watching that way so I was ready when I saw this big 9 point come strolling by. Awful thick in there and although I had a fairly open shot at 14 yards, I decided to let him walk into my next open window. Well, he turned and started walking straight up the ridge away from me with a big, thick cedar between us. Got out 30-45 yards and turned 180 degrees and started walking back down the ridge kind of in my direction. I shot him at about 18 yards.

I heard him run up the ridge and stop 100 yards away, then walk on off and over the ridge. This kinda worried me so I pulled my stand and spent 1/2 hour calling Yohon and Will. Walked back in there and found my arrow about 20 yards up the ridge. Must have just hung up on the fletchings and fell out as he was running. After that, I could have jogged along the blood/gore trail. He went about 250 yards, the last 150 or so straight down the back side of that ridge. I needed Yohon, Will and about six other guys to get him back up and out of there, but unfortunately I was on my own.

Pretty nice buck. Looks like he will go into the 130's. 59 pound Howard Hill Halfbreed, 2117 and Grizzly Instinct broadhead.

9 pointer 1.JPG
9 pointer 1.JPG (186.38 KiB) Viewed 423 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: 9 point down... Part II

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Beautiful buck, Randy. Congratulations.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Proud of ya man....that is a heck of a VA mountain buck!!!!!! This guy makes it all look so easy 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby lostaro » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Like I told Yohon yesterday....Just when you think you have this bowhunting thing down....along comes some old dude with a longbow to make you feel like a amateur :oops:

Outstanding buck sir....out-friggin-standing!!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby cst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Nice Job Randy!
cst

Postby PAarcher » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 pm

That is one hell of a deer Randy. Well done my friend.
PAarcher

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 am

Damn fine buck by anyone's standards ! Congrats ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 pm

hell of a nice buck, Randy!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum