Skip to content

Successful Montana Hunt...in Pennsylvania

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Successful Montana Hunt...in Pennsylvania

Postby PAarcher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 am

So, ealier this year while shooting with the gang at Baltimore, I purchased a new model Bear Montana from Yohon. It wasn't something I was looking for but after trying it out I couldn't resist. The Montana bows that I had remembered were blocky and felt like you were shooting a 2X4. This bow was smooth, free of shock and best of all dead silent. And, unlike my recurves, I could just place the tip of the arrow on the target at normal hunting ranges and that's where it would go. It was meant to be.

I've been shooting it ever since and have really fallen in love with this bow. It's not as pretty as my Stewart Slammer or Randy's Hill bows, but it suits me and I shoot it well.

Fast forward to this past week. I hadn't been able to get out hunting until now and my scouting had been very limited. My traditional hunting grounds had been logged 2 years ago (in the middle of archery season!!) and it has played havoc with hunting in these woods ever since.

I knocked off work early on Thursday to head to the woods for an afternoon/evening hunt. The weather was beautiful and the wind was just right to set up on a different game trail that showed some promise. Lots of rubs and the beginning of a scrape line.

I was up a tree in my Lone Wolf climber for about an hour when I saw a buck feeding towards me. He was a young buck with a small rack but a big body. Based on how the hunting pressure is around here along with the new deer movement patterns I decided that meat in the freezer was better than holding out for bigger antlers. AFter watching him feed for about 30 minutes he finally got withing range. He stopped at about 18 yards, turned broadside and dropped his head to rub a tree.
The deer gods were trying to tell me something. His head was down, his eyes were behind a tree and he was broadside at 18 yards!

I drew the Montana, anchored, picked a spot and began to "push" my bow towards the target. "keep pushing" I repeated to myself over and over and continued to expand the shot until it went off.

The bow was so silent he never reacted to the shot until the 125gr Magnus Snuffer pierced his ribs, right in the sweet spot. I could easily see the point of impact and knew it was a good shot. I could also see that it was not a pass through and could see my fletching flagging as he ran down the hill into a draw.

"Shit!!" was it really a good shot? Did I hit both lungs? Did I hit the heart? These questions raced through my mind in an instant. You know how that is! He disappeared in the forest and I decided to have a seat, resume breathing, and see if I could slow down the machine gun that was firing in my chest since dropping the string. lol!

After regaining some semblance of composure I climbed down and packed up my stand. after about 30 minutes I went to inspect the site of the impact. There was some blood, but not a lot. The trail was pretty clear and I began to follow it. The further along the trail I got, the more blood there was.

Found my arrow!
There is blood all the way up the fletching so it looks promising.

Got to keep following the trail.

Oh yeah! The only way this trail could be easier to follow is if the buck has stopped to hang flaggers tape along the way!

After a "well marked" trail of about 100 yards or so I came upon that much anticipated sight...

From the looks of it he died within a minute or two of the shot and was only about 30 yards away from one of my old stand locations.

That Snuffer did a hell of a job.

It took out both lungs and the heart.

Not bad for a little 40# Montana longbow!

After a word of thanks to the deer and a few minutes of quiet reflection I used the new Dark Timber 1911 Elite knife, pictured above, to field dress the deer. It's a little bit of overkill for a whitetail but it worked exceptionally well. If I ever get to go for elk that will be a strong candidate. That CPM3V steel holds an edge forever.

This was my first successful hunt with the Montana. Rest assured it won't be my last.
PAarcher

Re: Successful Montana Hunt...in Pennsylvania

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 am

Congratulations Mike! Longbows, Snuffers and bucks seems to be a common theme here lately.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby PAarcher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 am

Some old guy gave me that recipe. Seems he knows a thing or two...
PAarcher

Postby Yohon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:44 am

Great post/pics.......good to see the Montana fits you well buddy!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Good deal. Congratulations! Is that the first critter you've taken with a longbow?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby lostaro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Nice job sir!

Great pictures too....I always appreciate Snuffer gore trail photos ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Nice work there Mike ! You shot that so well at Baltimore I knew you had to hunt with it this fall. That's a stout knife too !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby PAarcher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Jim Casto Jr wrote:Good deal. Congratulations! Is that the first critter you've taken with a longbow?

Jim, actually it's not. The very first deer I killed with a traditional bow was with a Penn Archery Works Somerset longbow. After that it was all with recurves.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Nice job Mike! Looks like a good one.
cst

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum