Skip to content

Going after Pronhorn this fall. I Won a hunt!

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Going after Pronhorn this fall. I Won a hunt!

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm

The West Virginia Bowhunters Association has an annual awards banquet and bi- annually, they give away a hunt. It’s called the 500 club drawing. Any member who scores 500 at one of our shoots is given a certificate. Five of those certificates will give you one chance in the 500 club bi-annual drawing. I’ve been hording the darn things and had 30 certificates. That gave me six chances in the drawing.

They’ve never offered a hunt that I’d been interested in until this year. A pronghorn hunt on the Robinson Ranch, north of Douglas, WY. It’s four days and five nights with accommodations and guide service.

The banquet was last Saturday. J.W., my oldest son attended this year and at about 8 p.m. my home phone rang; it was J.W. He said, “Dad, you just won a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming.” GOOD FOR ME! Now all I have to do is apply for my license and get there.

It’s been 28 years since I’ve hunted pronghorns. I really enjoyed the few times I’ve hunted them. The country is so different and this eastern hardwoods guy just likes being where pronghorns and mule deer live.

Here's picture of the last one I took in 1989. Gee Whiz! Who is that kid? :)

1989 P&Y pronghorn.jpg
1989 P&Y pronghorn.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Going after Pronhorn this fall. I Won a hunt!

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:38 am

Congratulations! Sounds like a great adventure. Keep us posted.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:57 am

that is awesome ! Congrats, looking forward to the story and pictures ! That's a nice goat that young man is holding ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby rallison » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:53 am

Good on ya Jim! Hope you have a great hunt. My best hunting buddy's a retired LEO around Daniel, WY...I hunted the Bighorns and Bridger-Tetons with him from '75 til the late 90's. Those were great times.

Now go see if you can outdo that kid in the photo!
rallison

Postby Yohon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 am

Dang....I thought that was a picture of your son LOL!!!!! I've killed two antelope and your right what an awesome hunt, the country and the critters make for a great time.....I was always impressed with the quietness of the country, oh and the wind too.....no shortage of a breeze......congrats Jim, will be looking forward to the pics!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Mann » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 am

I still think its JW! :P
Look forward to the story!
Mann

Postby Mann » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Gee whizz!! :!:
Do I have to beg? :?:
Can I go! :o :D :lol: 8-)
Prongies don't charge do they? ;)
Mann

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Okay, Jim.... OKAY :!: Gee Whiz, I hate to see a grown man grovel. :P Area 29.... type 2. Put in for your license. :)

I never heard of a pronghorn charging, but with your luck, who knows. I didn't think a big sow could throw a guy up in the air and flip him like a tidily wink, but you proved me wrong. :o

Caribou? Now, that's a different story. Did I ever tell you about that? I'd shot a caribou bull thru the liver as he ran by at about 25 yards. He ran up the mountain about quarter mile and laid down. I slipped up on him and shot him thru the lungs at about 15 yards.

The rascal jumped up, saw me, dropped his head (full of all that antler) and headed right for me bawling and bellowing like a mad bull. Scared the begeebers out of me :!: I started to jump behind a big granite boulder but he fell dead.

1996 Caribou.jpg
1996 Caribou.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

Gee Whiz! That was 21 years ago. Where the heck does time go? :roll:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Mann » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 am

Should have took me, I would have backed you up!
That probably would get your attention! :) Nice Bou!
I have a sweater just like that! It must have shrunk though cause it no longer fits.
Mann

Postby Yohon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

So when are you going?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum