Skip to content

Rut action ?

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Rut action ?

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Is it going on in your area yet ? Where I work we get all the calls for the auto accidents and when the chase starts they start picking up. Within a mile of one of my spots a pair of 8 points and a big 10 have been struck in the last week. I've been bowhunting every chance I get, early mornings, mid day and evenings. I have seen a lot fewer scrapes and rubs this year. This morning I hunted a ridge that fingers out into a bedding area, I have shot a few deer out of the same tree but mostly early season does. I have had encounters with bucks there but no shots. I came in after light, the deer don't usually show up until 8:30-9. I sat it until noon and no sightings, I did find a single track trail through the thick stuff ( down wind from bedding area) Back in the tree by 2:30, I hunted the bottom between the end of that ridge and another trail below a bedding area. It's a nice little bottle neck. About 4 I heard chasing and by 5 I heard a single deer walking on that trail I found, the wind was quartering to me and I flipped the can a couple of times and grunted. The deer changed direction and tried to get down wind of me but couldn't with walking into the wide open. Instead he just hung out in the mountain laurel looking for me (doe). Never saw him other than some legs and a belly on the side of the ridge 100 yards away. I know it's a big deer and he isn't dumb. Hopefully he hangs around long enough to give me a shot at him. So, what's going on in your neck of the woods ? Has it kicked off yet ? It's in the 30's here and hopefully it will stay cold for a little while longer ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Rut action ?

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Bucks running around here acting stupid right now. I have passed up 14 dink bucks so far and missed a huge buck this past Friday at 30 yards. My neighbor shot a 130" buck in his back yard this afternoon...at 3:30!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Haven't hunted much but they are getting their stupid on....seeing them everywhere and a lot of dead ones on the roads.

Had a little spike trolling for does Saturday come by my stand.....poor little guy is in the freezer. ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Yohon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 am

I think I've passed on 13 bucks so far since Nov 1.....I had a great morning on Saturday by noon saw 7 or 8 different bucks biggest was a broken 3 point :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotten quiet the last day or so for me...not even seeing them on the road....lull before the storm?????
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:59 am

lostaro wrote:Haven't hunted much but they are getting their stupid on....seeing them everywhere and a lot of dead ones on the roads.

Had a little spike trolling for does Saturday come by my stand.....poor little guy is in the freezer. ;)

Don't feel bad I would've shot him too ;) Well Yohon and Randy are in 'em that's for sure. The public spot I hunt has been spotty and the little private place close by is where I had that encounter last night, I think they are just showing up there now. It's part of a drain that runs for a couple of miles and the bucks travel it until they find a hot one then they all camp out on her, it's so thick they can be within 60 yards and you might never see them. Taking the kids for a boat ride this morning gonna try and shoot some bushtails, I am bringing my bow, just in case ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Passed on buck #19 this evening....bucks still running by themselves which is a good sign to me.......Dang I love November and bows and arrows :D
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I had a buck in the middle of a field at 2:30 this afternoon. Ended up passing up a pretty decent seven pointer later at about ten yards, then smoked a huge doe at 18.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:52 pm

The rut is probably on here in California, because hunting season ended.
bearauto11

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:50 pm

So this morning I decided with the wind blowing 15 and gusting to 25 to go catch some rockfish instead of sitting in the woods. Within 30 minutes of trolling we had our first fish on, he was about 1/2" short of legal but a nice healthy fish and we were feeling pretty good about catching a limit and getting back home. Well that turned into 5 hours of trolling with no other strikes :cry: We went into a creek after some breaking fish and ended up catching a few little ones, on the way back out this buck decides to come out and swim across the mouth about 150 yards in front of our boat ! The picture doesn't do him justice he was probably only 3.5 based on his body but he was thick and heavy horned with a little junk. Image
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:26 pm

That does look heavy in the main beam for sure..............how do you hunt big ones in standing water LOL

Yeah he's a little bigger than the last one I saw standing chest deep in water ;)

The public that we take the boat to hunt the back end of has a point with a cattle trail on it and a huge scrape, they swim across the end of that gut all the time it's 200 yards or more but when love is in the air what's a little water ? Someone took video of a buck swimming the river the other day that's a good half mile. I have seen the out in the bay 400 or so yards off shore. I'll be back in a tree Sunday morning, maybe I'll get a dumb one to walk by. This work stuff keeps getting in the way.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum