Skip to content

Broadhead VS Bone

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Broadhead VS Bone

Postby superkodiak38 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:44 am

I have hunted with Woodsmans, Zwickey's and STOS. I tried to sharpen Snuffers once but that's another story ;)
I have shot deer with all of the above and had pass through on double lung shots. I have also had a high angle shot where a Woodsman made a left turn after hitting the off side shoulder blade and popped out through the brisket, small doe went completely though her ( it was cool ! )

I have decided to stay with a two blade heads and was really happy with the performance of the STOS I was going to order some broad heads when I got home and after talking to Marc I was thinking about trying a single bevel head. Anyhow, this is my STOS after shooting through part of one rib and breaking the offside leg below the shoulder blade. Now I normally tanto these and for whatever reason I had not done that to these, whether that would have lessened the tip curls ( I think it would) I can't be sure. It did completely break the leg, I know the head is a mess, it got put up wet and I just pulled it out for the pictures. Anybody who shoots single bevel have a suggestion in the 125-150 grain range ? Thanks !

When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Broadhead VS Bone

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Nothing here,,,,,,,,,,but can you show me the tanto thing? Thanks. Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:04 am

Jeff, as soon as I can get a free moment when I am not working or sleeping :D
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 am

Tim I was impressed with the new Grizzly's and they have a wide range of weights. Are you looking for 125-150 with adaptor?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:59 am

Yohon wrote:Tim I was impressed with the new Grizzly's and they have a wide range of weights. Are you looking for 125-150 with adaptor?

Yep
superkodiak38

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:30 pm

A local Aussie bloke is making nice heads , I used his single bevel 135gn screw ins in New Zealand last month.
They sure did the work on a couple of pigs , a few turkeys and a large bodied wild goat . Nothing too large but they worked really well with some pretty impressive would channels . Like you, I can't sharpen a Snuffer to save myself , and could never get Grizzly's as sharp as I wanted ( that was 12 years ago) ... but these Northerns worked really well. They ain't one piece so not sure how they'll hold up on big bones , but they decimated the spine of a 50lb hog...and I mean decimated .
( disclaimer - I've also done the same with cheap Ribtek's )

They are pretty cheap too .
https://northernbroadheads.myshopify.co ... lam-6-pack
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I shot Zwickey Delta's for years. I always chiseled the tips as I was convinced that would help tip curl. As the years passed and I had to reduce bow weight, I figured I needed a smaller broadhead to help with penetration. First the Eskimo, then, I went to the Grizzly. So far the Grizzly has shot threw everything from moose to pigs. I'm really pleased with them.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Looks like it held up ok for hitting such a big bone, but ya the tanto thing would of helped IMO...
MOUNTER

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum