Skip to content

Pre-rut Sika trip

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Re: Pre-rut Sika trip

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:51 am

Thanks guys, I told Marc my heart was pounding like it was the first deer I ever shot, good thing she was just plodding along through the marsh, it gave me a chance to settle down lol..

Yohon, I bow at the feet of the Sika master ! I just pulled the shoulders out of the crock pot, they fell off the bone. Going to take some to work with me and hid the rest in the fridge from my kids !! :D

I took the kayak along just to see how far I could get in the marsh and in case I got the chance to explore one of the back water access to another public land spot. It was fun but in the end we were sloggin' through frag and wading through marsh for the most part. Marc and I did talk to a "quasi - local" he showed me where I could go and get access by boat or kayak to some good ground so that might be a future installment of the Sika chronicles !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 am

This is the 1st year you can use a boat to hunt on Blackwater and I know of an island that sits out on the marsh that would be great to get to with a boat......went by the creek that dumps into that island the 1st weekend it was open and SIX trucks were parked there to use that same creek....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 am

Yohon wrote:This is the 1st year you can use a boat to hunt on Blackwater and I know of an island that sits out on the marsh that would be great to get to with a boat......went by the creek that dumps into that island the 1st weekend it was open and SIX trucks were parked there to use that same creek....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, no doubt ! One of the guys at Taylors Island told me about a "back door" area that abuts a lease 8-) Unfortunatley It's a long paddle for a Kayak but I have friends with skiffs that could do it easy :mrgreen:
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby marc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 pm

It was a fun week. I almost had a chance at one but I was battling a little cold and got hit with a coughing spell with a deer 30 yards away in the frag and another one that came in to the oak trees I was watching a little too late. The last morning was awesome though and it was about time the one came right by Tim. Here is a pic of the sunrise that morning.

marc sunrise.jpg
marc sunrise.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby marc » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Damn it's huge! Loading pics from a phone sucks!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

marc wrote:Damn it's huge! Loading pics from a phone sucks!

That's what she said !
superkodiak38

Postby Mann » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:14 am

Congrats!!
Mann

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Very cool, Congrats!!! Looks like a good sized one.
MOUNTER

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:56 pm

MOUNTER wrote:Very cool, Congrats!!! Looks like a good sized one.

I think she is pretty decent size for a hind but I would have shot a 3 legged yearling with one eye ! lol Marc has good photography skills, just wish he could put some hair back on my head ;)
superkodiak38

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 am

Congrats! That looks like some tough hunting conditions, lots of water..
Robertfishes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum