Skip to content

Pre-rut Sika trip

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Pre-rut Sika trip

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Marc and I had a great 5 days together, as I write this he is still out there on the marsh so the story's not done on this trip just yet. I had to return home today for work in the morning so I'll start the telling with a few pictures, hopefully Marc will add a few Including his "practice retirement beard" ;) ImageImage
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: Pre-rut Sika trip

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:42 pm

I got busted by a Stag and barked at by a Hind Wednesday morning :roll: Friday morning I watched a Hind drift by at about 80 yards. I was in a spot I have seen several Sika including a few Stags and felt really good about it. So I decided to go back there this morning and move out as close as I could to where she went through. I found what I thought was the right tree and noticed it was laced with trails. I started up the tree and heard a sploosh, followed by more splooshin' I was trying to get up the tree a little higher but it was getting closer and I needed to lock down my stand and pull up my bow before it was too late, I am digging in my pocket, still had my back pack on and no head net so I found my tab and pulled the hood of my leafy coat on, by now I could see her and I wasn't even sure it was shooting light yet.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:06 pm

She was walking nearly parallel to the line I walked in on and I thought when she started to angle that she would cross my path and might get a whiff but she kept coming. I was trying to pick a clear shot when she went behind a Myrtle Bush and I hit about half draw. As she cleared it I hit anchor and pulled through and the arrow was gone, I heard a loud crack, it was foggy and overcast and I wasn't sure how well I had hit her as I watched her run off I saw the arrow fall. She circled back the way she came and she started to "pogo" on her hind legs and then stumbled over a patch of dry ground, I heard her thrash in the water for a minute and then it was over. I looked at my watch it was 0634 ;) I shot a compass bearing where I heard the thrashing but I wanted to blood trail for the experience of tracking in the marsh, it was tough !Image Image Image Image
Finally I saw her, my shot was good the crack was the off side upper leg bone just below the shoulder blade breaking, the off side shoulder was "crunchy" Image Image
superkodiak38

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Been trying off and on for a few years to get this done and I couldn't be happier with a big whitetail buck ! This is a tough little hunt sloggin through marsh and Frag, I've been so close a bunch of times and never getting a shot opportunity. Hopefully the Sika monkey is off my back and there are more to come, Sika tenderloins with eggs and garlic toast when I got home today sure was good ;)
superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:47 pm

That's awesome! Congrats! :)
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Yohon » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:26 pm

Warms my fuzzy lil heart to see them pixs!!!! Sorry i couldn't get down there but was finishing up some work this week so I'll be burning the calls up next week.

Congrats again Tim that cool to see you finally thumping one just the way it supposed to happen, stag is next! Tickled to death for you buddy!!!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Congratulations Tim! The monkey's definitely gone. ;)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Hell yes! Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Awesome Tim! Congratulations!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Awesome
The whole thing looks cool, canoeing in etc.
Great job
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum