Skip to content

Annual Pig Gig Part II

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Re: Annual Pig Gig Part II

Postby lostaro » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Dudes kinda getting a reputation down there....

Pigs hate him ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Mann wrote:Great job! :D
Nice chompers!

No kidding!!
bearauto11

Postby MOUNTER » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am

NICE!!! Pretty unusual that the tusk and whet are the same length. I wonder if the other side was the same?
MOUNTER

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:45 am

Well, I made it back late last night. I had a great time but I have to say though, this year was very different from last year.

I left Virginia on Sunday and it was 21 degrees. Rolled into Georgia and it was 77-79 the first couple of days and unbelievable mosquitoes. Last year we had one or two encounters with snakes or gators. This year we had daily encounters with both and some of the gators were 10-12 feet plus. I walked up within about five yards of one that had to be close to 14 feet long (not on purpose!) before it rolled and splashed off.

2-6-a.jpg
2-6-a.jpg (154.54 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

Here is one that is 10 feet plus on the bank

Hog numbers seemed to be down over last year. We were seeing them and getting into them some, but not with the frequency of last year. I suspect that the high number of gators may have had something to do with low hog numbers.

Wednesday and Thursday turned in quite the adventure. The winds came up Wednesday night followed by unbelievable winds. Heavy rain all night long which continued into to Thursday morning. Everyone in the lower camp went out for a morning hunt anyway and got absolutely soaked for their efforts. It was just a heavy, steady rain. We spent most of the day huddled in our tents or hanging out under a small awning. Still, it was a good group of guys and we had a good time. The winds were so high and the rain so heavy that none of us went out that evening. It was quite the spectacle that night... Seven grown men huddled beneath a single 12 X 12 canopy while I tried to cook Brats, Wild boar and the fixings. A late night toast and off to bead we went. A quick check on our phones and the weather map showed us under some angry red and orange clouds that should continue through the night with High wind and flooding warnings along with reports of tornados along the coast.

Thursday night was an adventure. Not much sleep as the tents were buffeted with 40 plus mph winds and driving rain. The tents took on rain and everything was a mess and miserable. The weather had abated some by Friday morning so we pulled on wet clothes and waders and went back into the swamp. I needed to get back so I had Jeff take me into the dock at lunch time and we enjoyed a great lunch at the fish camp. Jeff did say that conditions were a lot nicer and not as heavy of rain and wind at the upper camp on Thursday night.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:48 am

I did manage to get into several hogs and have a couple good encounters. I got dropped off on the island directly across from campo and could hear hogs before the boat pulled out. I had several close encounters that afternoon but no shots taken. Later on I could hear some pigs grunting in some impenetrable marsh grass and tried to work my way over there. I got into some real thick stuff but couldn't see them right in front of me. Then I saw six little piglets that were all pink and not completely covered with hair walk towards me. They couldn't have been more than a couple days old. They kept walking so I took off my pack and got may camera and shot a few photos.

P1010485.JPG
P1010485.JPG (185.99 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

This is some of the marsh grass where I was hearing the pigs.

P1010493.JPG
P1010493.JPG (194.82 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

A whole herd of little piglets

Then, I heard a larger pig approaching. I pulled my pack back on and a HUGE sow stuck her head out of the grass at about ten yards and made the loudest 15-20 second growl I've ever heard. I didn't want to shoot her with the piglets there and was sunk to mid calf in mud so couldn't move away. The little guys actually walked with in six inches of my boots on the way back to her and she and I just stared at each other. They walked past her back into the grass and she let out another loud grunt/growl and turned and followed them.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:50 am

I managed to hear a boar crossing from one of the islands to the dike and was able to get in front of him. He turned out to be a nice pig but unfortunately this was the day that Jeff was ferrying guys in and out and I was all alone to get him out and back to camp by myself.

P1010499.JPG
P1010499.JPG (165.13 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 am

Several years ago I shot a deer in the shoulder and watched my arrow pretty much bounce off. Upon inspection I discovered that the aluminum broad head adaptor had snapped off, just sinking the broad head in the shoulder and then breaking. Afterwards I swore that I would never use an aluminum broad head adaptor again, and have gone to steel adaptors, one piece aluminum inserts with the built in broad head adaptor, solid brass adaptors or solid one piece steel broad heads like the V.P.A. I was trying to shoot a broad head that was heavier than normal for me so failed to heed my own advice and used an aluminum broad head adaptor to get the weight down. One evening I got within ten yards of a really big boar and shot him in his shoulder/shield with 63 pounds. The arrow hit and then just stood straight up and fell to the ground. Looking at it, all I did was stick the broad head through the heavy shield and then the insert broke off at the threads. Lesson learned.... once again.

broken insert.png
broken insert.png (768.85 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

you can see where the adaptor broke out the side of my carbon arrow.

broken insert 2.png
broken insert 2.png (698.23 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

You can still see the aluminum adaptor where it broke off at the threads
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:29 am

2-6-d.jpg
2-6-d.jpg (218.24 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

Taking a break....
Stykshooter

Postby PAarcher » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:25 am

That looks like it was a hell of a trip! Well done Randy and thanks for sharing all these pics!
PAarcher

Postby Yohon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Yep, good stuff as usual!!!! 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum