Skip to content

Cold feet ?

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Cold feet ?

Postby marc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:05 am

I just can't seem to keep my feet warm enough to sit for over 3 hours anymore when the temps hit the 30's. Has anyone used the thermacell heated insoles? Any other advice? Wearing lacrosse ice kings isn't enough!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Re: Cold feet ?

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 am

I wear regular 800 gram thinsulate boots. I take a pair of old wool socks and cut off the top 8" or so of them where the good elastic is. Once I get up in my stand I pull them over the toes of my boots. Then I stick a hot hands between the boot and the sock on each foot on top of the boot. My feet stay reasonably warm. You just have to remember to take them off before you climb down, other wise they get real mucky.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:11 am

I tried the ThermaCell heated insoles. They were better than nothing, but that's about what I'd give them. I've had better luck with the Icebreaker Insulated Boot Blanket® Overboots, that Cabela's sell, especially if you copy Randy's trick and put a hot hands or hot foot warmer in them on top of your toes.

Or you could just move to Texas in which case you'd rarely, if ever, have that problem.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:00 pm

I had that trouble for years. Made those long sets in Ohio miserable during January. A neighbor suggested I try a pair of military issue Micky Mouse boots. No more cold feet-ever. They're not good for walking. If I'm going to sit a spell, I carry them in (in my pack or across my back) and put on a pair of wool socks. I went back to the surplus place and bought two more pair.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Mann » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Another thing I do when it gets really cold is to take a small scrap piece of foam or rubber backed carpet to stand on, Really helps to insulate a cold metal stand.
Mann

Postby Yohon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:22 pm

I do a combination of Randy's trick and Fuzzy. Put on the hot hands then put the boot blankets on over that. I use the un-insulated UA boots I use early season and get by pretty well. Most my stands are such a walk that heavy boots arent worth it. Its also not much to pack to keep your feet warm. The secret is to put that stuff on as soon as you get in the tree to help hold in the heat you've generated on the walk in. Mann's idea is good one too....I'm like you and hate cold feet and fight it all the time and this seems to be the best other than a pair of heavy pac boots that work too but cant walk any distance with them 10 pound weights on my feet!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby marc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 am

Looks like I need to order the boot blankets then. Thanks for your input guys
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby marc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:08 am

While waiting for my boot blankets to get here I tried using a vapor barrier. I can't believe how much warmer my feet are just using it. Just wearing a thin pair of wool socks with a Walmart bag over that then a thick wool or fleece sock. My feet sweat a lot so I guess just keeping the outer sock and boot dry is making that much of a difference.
marc

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum