Skip to content

Penetration

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Penetration

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:07 pm

You read and hear a lot about how you cant shoot through a deer's shoulder with a bow, how tough their bones are and how you need a two blade single bevel with 75% F.O.C. to get adequate penetration. I always wonder how many deer these guys who write this stuff have shot.

It is always good advice to avoid hitting a deer in the shoulder as it does limit penetration severely. But, if you inadvertently do, it is good to have a set up that you have confidence in. There is a lot to be said for bow weight, sharp broadheads and most importantly, good arrow flight. The deer I shot yesterday afternoon was a fairly large bodied buck. I shot him at about 16-18 yards. We all hear the stories about how you cant shoot through a deer's shoulder with an arrow and I have personally seen numerous deer run off with an arrow stuck in them with about 2" penetration where they were hit in the shoulder. Well, I pretty much dead centered the shoulder on this buck yesterday afternoon. Like I said, a very good sized deer. The arrow exited the bottom of the chest and then shattered and shot through the upper leg bone on the far side and kept going. Can't ask for better'n that.

I was shooting a fairly heavy setup, 64 pound Bear takedown at my draw length, Beman Centershot .340's and 175 grain V.P.A. Terminators. But, despite bow weight, I think the keys to this set up are the fact that I have absolute perfect arrow flight and shoot a razor sharp, tough broadhead. I'm doubting many of the expandables on the market today would have faired as well.

penetration 1.png
penetration 1.png (511.24 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

penetration 2.png
penetration 2.png (521.44 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Penetration

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:19 pm

I like three blade broadheads. Period. I have killed a lot of deer with a Snuffer and it is still my go to broad head. I have the utmost confidence in that broadhead. That being said, I am really starting to like the V.P.A. Terminators. I've been doing some field testing this past year or so and have killed over a dozen deer and pigs with them now. I can't really find a down side to them. The are tough as can be, fly great and sharpen very easily.

I was concerned a little at first as when you lay one down beside a 160 grain Snuffer, it definitely looks like the Snuffer's younger, slightly anemic brother. But, they do kill critters dead and leave an awesome blood trail. I have been surprised at the blood trail to be honest. Very heavy and profuse. Back 25 years or more ago I shot Razorback 5 heads. They had that same long narrow profile and I was afraid they would punch too small of a hole. But, some of the blood trails they left behind were amazing. I am thinking that the V.P.A.'s may have some of the same characteristics. Even though this head is certainly smaller than a Snuffer, I am sure it will penetrate better and the blood trail from that deer yesterday was an unbelievable, four foot wide swath.
penetration 3.png
penetration 3.png (614.49 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Just think though....if you had shot a two blade that arrow would have.....

.....nevermind.....saw on the internet that 3 blades don't work. :oops:
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Gotta be true then.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 pm

lostaro wrote:Just think though....if you had shot a two blade that arrow would have.....

.....nevermind.....saw on the internet that 3 blades don't work. :oops:

:D :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:41 am

Gnarley ! I like it !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:58 am

That'll work!!
MOUNTER

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum