Skip to content

Blood trail, recover, repeat....

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Blood trail, recover, repeat....

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Will (Lostaro) and I had an interesting evening bowhunting today.

Rifle season is in and we were looking to find some place to get away from the orange hoard on a Saturday so we went to the archery club. Some stump shooting this afternoon and then up to our stands. I shot two deer one evening last week and have been passing up a bunch of deer since. Didn't feel like working another one up and rifle season is in so my sons keeps my garage full of hanging deer. Besides, the bucks are running and anything can happen.

Will and I both decided going in that we were going to shoot a deer today given the opportunity. The last 45 minutes before dark I ended up playing with a buck. Grunted him in several times but the laurels are so thick that I couldn't get a good look at him or a shot. Finally I got a shot right before dark at about 16-18 yards. I was shooting 64 pounds and the broadhead passed through the shoulder on one side, severed the pulmonary artery and then passed through the leg bone on the other side. To say there was a profuse blood trail would be a massive understatement. I was following along the blood gushes and Will was just looking ahead for the buck. 75 yards into it he found the buck in the laurels. Turned out to be a big bodied, half rack scrub. He'll be headed towards the sausage casings soon.

We drug the buck up to the edge of a clearing, I field dressed it and propped it up to drain. We took our bows back to the trucks with us and left our tree stands, clothes and the deer as we could drive up pretty close on an old road. We returned approximately 20 minutes later and discovered that my deer was gone. Someone had found it in that short of time and stolen my deer.

We started looking around and I was preparing to field dress someone when I found them when Will made the valid statement....Why would anyone take the deer and leave a $300.00 stand and other gear? Besides, we were so far back up in there that it was unlikely anyone could have found the deer and moved it in that short of time.

So... Will started blood trailing the deer for the second time in the same night. He located it in some bushes 30-50 yards away from where I had dressed it. A bear had found it in that short of time and drug it off. You could see bite marks in the throat where he latched onto it.

Hard to believe the bear found the dressed buck that quickly and claimed it.... Crazy.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Blood trail, recover, repeat....

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Very cool Randy !
BEN MAHER

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Wow!
bearauto11

Postby Yohon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:11 am

Getting Lostaro and Stykshooter together and "interesting" stuff happens....wish I could have been there for that!!! I bet that bear was standing over in the brush watching his deer leaving with you guys.....kickin the leaves, saying "dang it soo close" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:38 am

Guess what comes back in season on the 23rd?
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:41 am

I'd say we effectively ruined that bear's day....think about it, he found a whole fresh deer laying gutted in his living room. All his, doesn't have to share with anybody.....then two goofballs walk up and take it from him. Kinda insensitive if you think about it. :D

Neat ending to a great day, we both hunted separate farms in the morning and had deer all over us. I had 12-14...more...around me with 10 in bow range. At the one place I have where some bucks live long enough to get big so I was being picky (and somewhat unrealistic).

Hopefully Randy can post some after-action photos. Looked like that VPA went through the shoulder and definitely cut through off side leg bone...the thick part. ;) Killed it.

Those VPA's are kinda small but put an awful lot of goop on the ground. Randy asked how that bear found his deer so quickly....may have had something to do with the 100yd... 5 foot wide trail of bright red stuff coming down the hill :?

Only took two old blind guys two minutes to find it the first time ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 am

It's the 24th, that bear dead yet ??? 8-) :D
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:06 am

Very cool!
MOUNTER

Postby marc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:22 am

That is a great story. At least the bear has the gut pile to eat on!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum