Skip to content

the big burn.........

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

the big burn.........

Postby topcamp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:07 pm

special on pbs tuesday night...............the massive fire that burned idaho......montana..............in 1910...........and in turn opened up that country to become some of the finest elk hunting ground every known...........it needs to happen again as most of the clearwater area has grown up so bad it along with the introduction of the wolf.....has pretty much decimated that country for elk........forrest service is trying some controlled burns.....and letting some areas just burn...........but it will never come back in my life time as to what it was when i hunted it in the eightys...........should be worth watching though.......just from a history standpoint.

one could find still standing........massive cedars.......charred and hollowed out from that fire.........and deep down in the hole below junction mtn..........i stumbled on a grove that the burn didn't touch................cedars that where just giant silent cathedrals ...........almost primeval in their herculean centuries of deep dark hidden survival.....no fire......no saw.......no axe............one of the puriest true wilderness spots my life journey with the bow has ever allowed me to enter. never killed an elk in there........never never took any of my hunters there....went there only with my close outfitter friend.....but the cacophony of a bull down there..........bouncing off of those ancient giants.............was the pure essence of what elk hunting was and is ......all about........in idaho........ :!: :!:
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum