Skip to content

2019 Sika Camp

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

2019 Sika Camp

Postby superkodiak38 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:44 am

I was only able to get over to the eastern shore for a day and a half. I met up with Marc and another guy, Wade, for those of you who are familiar. They had been on the Sika for a week already and had some close calls, shots fired, but nothing on the meat pole yet. I brought along about a dozen softshells and we made quick work of those for dinner as we settled in that evening. Marc told me about his elk trip, I didn't go this year, and how he... well, I'll let him tell you about it. Anyhow the next morning we got up early, got caffeinated and ready to go but never made it off Taylor's Island. I drove through flood water to get there but it was way up and required finding a tide chart to plan our escape to hunt. This was the view and as you can tell even when we got out it was still deep.

When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Re: 2019 Sika Camp

Postby superkodiak38 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:54 am

We made it out of camp and to the spot. Everything was flooded due to the moon, tide and the passing of a tropical storm off the coast creating a surge of water. They apparently road killed some carp and crabs during the ride the day before and Marc gave it to a snake that was swimming along in the road. I had planned on hunting hard ground where there was some oaks but it was all under 8 -10 inches of water. I had the best evening I have had in a tree this year that night, saw 3 hinds and a nice stag but I had what I would suspect as the resident swamp donkey bellowing, moaning and braying at me for over 45 minutes. I could hear him lunging through the water and crashing around looking for the hind I was pretending to be. I was torn over climbing down and going after him or staying in the tree hoping one of the other numerous sika running around me would give me a shot. This Stag didn't bugle like they normally do instead it was an ominous guttural moaning bray like nothing I had ever heard before. I had a stag early growling near me from his bed, I have heard that before and actually called them in replicating it but this guy was in another category of gnarly. Unfortunately I never saw him and those around me didn't offer a shot but I got my " fix" for now having more action in one evening than I have had in a few seasons in the past. I am going to try and get back over in January and see if I can locate him again, he was wise enough to not come all the way in without seeing or smelling the hind but he put on a show non the less.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:36 am

Sounds like an excellent adventure. Let me know what you work out in January... I may be interested.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Daniel Banting » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:41 am

Sounds like one of those memorable hunts that you will be able to recall with pleasure.
Daniel Banting

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum