[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Past Hunts (NBR)

Skip to content

Past Hunts (NBR)

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Past Hunts (NBR)

Postby Daniel Banting » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 am

I think everyone is looking forward to a revitalized Pirates. I posted little in the past for the simple reason that most Pirates have more experience than I do and as a result I felt that there was little I could contribute on a routine basis.

The tale to follow is not bowhunting related but I but it is my hope to provide some contribution to resuscitating the site to it's former glory!

If you would rather not hear about bikes and boats, fish and fowl, dogs and the like just let me know and I shall cease and desist. It is my intention for these to be a tempory measure until the site gets active again.
Daniel Banting

Re: Past Hunts (NBR)

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 am

Bring it on.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Daniel Banting » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:58 am

The province of Nova Scotia is one of the few ( I believe they still practice it in one of the Carolinas ) places where hunting waterfowl out of a "Duck Rub" is still practiced.

A duck tub in NS is a floating contrivance about the size of an average coffee table. The main float has a hole cut into it about 30" square more or less. Into this float is the actual "Tub". The tub consists of a tapered box that becomes progressively smaller to where the bottom just barely accomodates a pair of size 11 waders. The tub is then weighted with chunks of scrap iron the quantity being determined by the weight of the proposed occupant. The purpose of the added weight is to acheive a level of boyancy that allows the tub to be just supported by the outer float. As you can tell by the size of my good buddy Glenn some guys can acheive purfect balance with just the change in their pockets.

When all is said and done and your posterior is on the little folding shelf inside the tub your eyes are a couple of inches above waterline. When you stand to shoot most fellows of average height their armpits will just clear the box. With me being slightly below average height there were some difficulties in maintaining a fluid graceful gun mount and swing, not to mention that when sitting on the seat, my eyes were just slightly below waterline!!!

On this particular trip we anchored the boxes about 4 miles from the mainland bobbing in about 100 feet of the Atlantic Ocean. I remember a distinct feeling of being just a little uneasy when I climbed into the box an hour before first light and then watched the guide in the tender boat disappearing into the darkness. It was a bit disconcerting when I realized the tender boat was disappering and the man in it I had met one hour previous. I had no idea if he had heart issues, a drinking problem, narcolepsy or a very poor sense of direction. It did give me something to think about for the next hour while wondering "what happens if any wind comes up?"

I don't know if you can see them in the resized photo but if you look at the edge of the tender boat you will see chunks of rusted steel that is used for the ballast, some were round steel balls about the size of a tennis ball. When the guide was putting some of it in the bottom of my tub he was using some of the large ones. Curious at to what they were originally I asked the guide who had his head in the bottom of the tube at the time, "what are those". I'm not exactly sure but I think
P1010043.JPG
P1010043.JPG (112.56 KiB) Viewed 113 times
P1010043.JPG
P1010043.JPG (112.56 KiB) Viewed 113 times
he said that they were "Nova Scotia #4s "

The photos show the outer float and my buddy Glenn on board.
Attachments
P1010039.JPG
P1010039.JPG (76.65 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Daniel Banting

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am

Yeah... cant say that I would be any way comfortable in a contraption like that.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Daniel Banting » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 pm

P1010042.JPG
P1010042.JPG (132.29 KiB) Viewed 111 times
P1010042.JPG
P1010042.JPG (132.29 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Yeah, comfort eh? I thought about comfort as the guide disappeared into the darkness. I thought about comfort on two levels. My physical comfortI was at least at ease with or as much ease as one can muster contemplating shooting a shotgun at ducks flying past your head at 40 MPH while you have as much mobility as being driven into a post hole.

The other comfort, the emotional one was a little more difficult to grasp. As I mentioned I was wondering what the protocal was in the event of the wind picking up seeing as I estimated 3 to 4 inches of freeboard. It was small comfort when I looked down at my feet to see half a bleach bottle in the bottom of the tub. It was small comfort as I was standing on it and there was not way I was flexible enough that I could contort myself to reach down and get it.

Luckily I had the foresight the next morning to fetch the jug up before I got into the tub. The next day did bring it's only level of excitement. You have met me, I expect you know that very few people would ever think I was a star in the Canadian Ballet Group. Let's just say that that if there was a Youtube video of a short, fat, uncoordinated Canuck getting into a duck tub while 1 foot waves lapped at the side of the 6"craft, the number of views would be in the hundreds of thousands!!!

I know I will sound like a wimp but keep in mind this was a late November hunt with temperatures below freezing. The salt water is still liquid but it's cold. We made it till about noon when my buddy Glenn got me on the two way and asked "are you getting wet?" my reply of '" only every other wave" was enough for the both of us so we pulled the plug prematurely.

Because we use Metric measurment I won't try to impress you with how much water was coming into the tubs but I will say that a bleach jug cut in half would give you the same success ratio of the Titanic but with less time.
Daniel Banting

Postby Daniel Banting » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Our guide ( Brian Mason ) was a bit disappointed that we had to quit early. You will notice in the previous photo that Brian ( in the foreground ) was not wearing any gloves. During the ride back to the mainland Glenn and I were huddled with our backs to the wind, hoods up and trying to make as small a package of ourselves as possible. Brian stood at the tiller with bare hands and an open jacket and looked like he was guiding for Tarpon. Hard boys them Maritimers.

We did manage to shoot a few Scoters and Old Squaws. Funny thing about that when we would have a bird down we would wave an orange flag. Brian would then come out with the tender and net the birds. Often if he was not quick enough you would see a seals head come up and the bird would disappear!!!

I'm glad I had the experience but I will admit to not having a driving force to do it again.
Attachments
P1010044.JPG
P1010044.JPG (124.45 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Daniel Banting

Postby Yohon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

My Dad had pics hunting out of those on the Susquehanna flats many moons ago....called em booty blinds if I recall right. Cool tale and can relate...when I duck hunted as a youngster big water ducks like Scooters and Oldsquaws were some of my favorite...didnt eat for crap but I loved hunting them on the Chesapeake and getting wet and wind blown meant you had a good day.....being 18 sure helped LOL
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Great read !love it ,,,you have a way with words ,like field and stream used to be thanks jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 am

Hey Dan !
Sure does look like a different adventure , not sure if looks like a fun one ...
BEN MAHER

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm

One thing I do miss,,,,,is along about now Arron would add bouncing boobs to a great story ,,,lol JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum